Limit Excel file access to a certain number of times

gyro2222

I have an excel file which imports data from a text file and then generates a report based on the data.
I would like to have a way to limit the number of times a user can access this report, so I can charge for usage.
Ideally, i could set the number of times they can run this file (or import data) by having it count down the number of times the file was accessed and then stop running once the counter reaches 0.
It would then have to be refreshed once the user has paid for another set of X usages.
any suggestions?
Thanks
Hal

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Hi Hal,
I've played with the idea myself, but you'll run into the following situation: say I have a working copy of your workbook, I just save that somewhere and everytime the counter inside the file hits the restraint, I'll make a copy of that base file. What I've seen working:
-like most software, make a registry entry to monitor usage, but this is still hackable
-in your VBA link to an online system/database with e.g. "maximum date to use file" or a counter that is user-specific.
-I've created files that worked for a year (with a constant in VBA with the end date), the file will open afterwards, but not work anymore and give a warning to the user a month before the end date.
Hope that gets you started,
Koen

Upvote 0
There's another thread - with sample code - that discusses what you're looking for...

Cheers,

tonyy

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Board!

Note that all someone needs to do is disable macros to get around whatever you do. And you can run into issues disabling someone's ability to access their own data. It's a very slippery slope.

Do a search for Excel Compiler, which allows you to create/distribute a fully functional, but locked-down copy of your workbook.

HTH,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k4kamal

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back