Lookup multiple values with 1 lookup reference

ceconnor

Hi,

I am really struggling with a way round this, will try to explain as simply as possible:

- I want to find the monthly revenue generated by different contracts for my company. Each contract has a reference number (this is the unique ID/lookup).
- Since monthly revenue reports are not available, I need to look at the revenue YTD for the current month vs. the revenue YTD for the previous month and find the difference between the two, for each contract.
- I have tried using VLOOKUP and SUMIFS but these are limited since the contract reference can appear multiple times with different values (revenues generated across different business lines). Sometimes the values are positive, sometimes negative. VLOOKUP and SUMIFS returns the same value (the first it finds) and repeats, it is not accurate.
- Is there a formula that I use to search by the contract reference in the previous months spreadsheet, and return the revenue produced by each service line? i.e. 1 lookup criteria that Excel will use to return all values corresponding to that lookup criteria?

Hope that makes sense. I am an Excel novice and am teaching myself mainly through these forums - simple language or examples will help my learning!!!!

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
As an example, this is the kind of thing I would be searching for in my previous monthly revenue data. The contract ref - 12345 - never changes. The business line can be any of the business lines offered by the company. The revenue changes according to each business line.
I would need a lookup function which allows me to search "12345" and return 1000, 2000, -1000, 1500 on separate lines (i.e. same format). The ones I tried are just returning "1000" as this is the first value it finds.

Contract ref Business line YTD Revenue
12345 Clothes 1000
24689 Shoes 2345
13579 Makeup 2000
12345 Shoes 2000
12345 Makeup -1000
12345 Clothes 1500

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kauamarcosms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back