Macro For Selecting from a Data Validation Menu

Kbeaux

Hello Cool Excel Friends,
First, must apologize. Total Excel Newbie here. I am just in the course of working with this problem learning some VBA and experimenting with macros. Basically, I'm working for a small company that needs to put together documents for our parent company in which specific photos are inserted into specific sections. That is, there is a title like (Tower external) and the external tower photo needs to go there. Before we were just inserting them manually, now I've upgraded (with some help) the template to include a data validation drop down list that sources from a picture list created in another sheet. The photos are named A1, A2....ect, according to where they go in the multi sheet document. The photos will always be named for the spot that they need to go in, and the drop down menu automatically selects whatever it was previously on. Currently we just need to activate each drop down and press enter.

However, I was wondering if it was possible to build or macro-record a macro that will do that for us. I played around with data recorder and couldn't get it to work but like I said--total newbie so that doesn't mean it's not possible or even easy.

TLDR: I am wondering if it is possible to get a macro to select from a dropdown menu...or just activate it as the correct choice is always selected in this case. This is in order to import photos from a picture list. This way I can easily activate all drop downs on a sheet instead of importing a photo from each one.

Thank you in advance! Please let me know what if any clarifications are needed. It looks like I don't have attachment permissions, but I've created a sample workbook if anyone would like me to send it to them in order to get an idea of what I am talking about.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Is there any other purpose for your dropdowns? It seems like they were created to support your first generation of automation. Now rather than automate that effort, it seems like your macro could/should include the logic that went into populating those dropdowns, as well as the functionality that you got from them and the new automation you are looking to create. It seems like you need to eliminate them from the process and simply loop through a list of pictures and put them in the correct locations, or loop through the locations and insert the appropriate pictures. That kind of effort is usually pretty easy to do, especially if you are smart about your naming conventions, and you seem to be aware of the need for that. Other than that big picture comment, I don't think you have provided enough concrete information to get a lot of help.
Good luck on your project.
Ken

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enero1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back