Macro security is killing me

roscoe

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I have an expense report template I built in Office 2003 with macros that I share with coworkers. When I shared it, some folks had macro security issues. Some work in an environment where they can't change the security settings (government offices for example). Since I did also I was able to use my govt PKI signature to sign it. Befoer that though I created my own signature. I was told (but could not verify) that folks could add that to their trusted list and not be asked anymore.

Just upgraded to 2007 and suddenly things are wonky. I tried to add my signature and Excel won't let me. No reason, just says it couldn't. So I used the help file to figure out how to create a new one, and it refers to a dialog box I can't get to (apparently pops up when you don't have a signature, but I have two...one is the one that doesn't work and I'd like to delete if I could figure out how, and the other is expiring in a few days so I'd rather not use it).

Could really use some guidance here...

Next question...I was using macros on another computer and when I opened the file I was given the coice of turning on the macros or not. My current computer doesn't ahve that option. It either turns them off (no option to overide) or turns all macros on (not safe and not what I want). How/where do I find the option to temporarily disable until I click enable? Seen it, know it exists, can't find it now.

Thanks!

Strange. When I open an unsigned file, I get this:

When I click on the OPTIONS... button, I then get this:

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
How do you insert a picture? Because I want to show you what I get. But for now, since I can't, I'll try to describe it.

First (and most confusing) is that it shows it signed. I thought I had deleted all signatures. How do I remove all signatures from a file and for that matter, my system (none appear to work so what's the point)

Second, because the system says it's an invalid signature (never got that with the previous version of Excel with this very same self-generated signature), it says that macros will be disabled.

It then shows the detail of the signature.

Upvote 0
Help files says to go to the Publish option and select "View signature"...That option doesn't show up when I do that. Yet uploading the file and then opening from that location (i.e. getting it away from my "trusted location") yields the problem I described above.

Upvote 0
How do you insert a picture? ...
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=204962
...How do I remove all signatures from a file ...
For me, I just go back to the Prepare option on the Office Button and pick VIEW SIGNATURES. That opens a Task Pane-type box that shows my signature. If I click the dropdown on the right edge of my signature, Remove Signature is the last option on the popup.

and for that matter, my system (none appear to work so what's the point)
Well, you *definitely* DO NOT want to do it the way I did it! :eek: I crashed my hard drive and then I crashed my motherboard. So I am on my third digital signature in the last eight months. I have never had to try to deliberately remove one, so I'm afraid I'll have to refer you to our ol' buddy google. :wink:

Upvote 0
For me, I just go back to the Prepare option on the Office Button and pick VIEW SIGNATURES. That opens a Task Pane-type box that shows my signature. If I click the dropdown on the right edge of my signature, Remove Signature is the last option on the popup.

VIEW SIGNATURES doesn't appear for me...

OK, here's what I see when I select "options" when the macros have been disabled (this is with disable with notifications...)

http://rossdillon.smugmug.com/photos/455467833_J8e6M-M.jpg

(How do I get the thumbnail to show rather than the link?)

Upvote 0
Bump for desperate need for help.

1) Opening the template off my computer works fine and can find no evidence of a signature...at least the "prepare"-"Show signatures" option doesn't exist so I can't know for sure what's going on, yet...

2) Uploading to company's share point site and then opening directly from there disables macros due to invalid signature...no option to bypass and turn on.

Template depends on macros and company depends on this template for their monthy expense reports.

Please help!

Upvote 0
Ross,

I wonder if this file being a template is what is causing the different behavior. Have you tried saving the file as a regular, macro-enabled workbook and seeing if you can get into it as a regular workbook?

Upvote 0
Interesting thought but no difference. Stills disables the document. I just sent it home where I have the older version of Excel from which it was developed. Hoping I can strip the signature from there and fix this.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBertot107

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back