Make a chart remember preferred marker/line settings?

rdsmit1

Board Regular
I have a chart with a dynamic range. I have certain marker/line types/colors I would prefer each series in the chart to have. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
For example if my dynamic chart has 5 series and I do the traditional double click on the series 5 line and change the marker from an x to a triangle, then I take away series 5, and if I bring back series 5 again the marker type is back to the default x in the chart. <o:p></o:p>
The funny thing is I have another workbook with a dynamic chart where the chart remembers what my settings were when I take away and then add a series back to it..... Not sure if there is a setting/option I am not aware of... <o:p></o:p>
One idea I had was to record a macro of me going into each series and changing it to the settings I want... then I would have to have an if statement to skip the operation if a series did not exist... that solution seems like a real pain and I am hoping someone has a better idea for me. <o:p></o:p>

Thanks!

-Ryan

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
I had a similar issue. I solved it by using a macro to hide or show a row of data depending on if the row was populated with data or not. Then I went through and chose the color for each series (although you don't have to do this if you like the colors that default).

This way the colors for each series remain constant but they only appear on the chart if there was data for that series. I tied the code to a button. When the user chose which series they would like to see they hit the "update" button, the code ran and unhid or hid rows as necessary so only the applicable data showed up on the graph.

Hope this helps.....

Upvote 0
Why not? Even if you want the data to be always visible you can make a "mirror" of your data lower on that worksheet or on another worksheet where you code hides and unhides those rows or columns.

Upvote 0
Is there a way to make the rows autohide if no data was present? Or would I have to make it user defined with a check box?

Thanks,

-Ryan

Upvote 0
I'm not the best with specific pieces of code, I usually go hunting by Google or this forum to find what I need but....

I've got to think that there is a way to test for a cell being empty or if everything adds to zero, and you want to hide zero totals, test for a zero value and have the macro hide the row if these conditions are true.

Upvote 0
Only thing is you will need the user to hit a button to run the code in my scenario. There are other ways to get code to kick off, on open of the spread sheet for instance, you can experiment and see what works best for you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nano

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back