Making a cell flash

steelers777

If I have text typed into a cell how do I make it flash? Also, if I have a score that is calculated in cells how do I make the winners name turn a different color (red)?

For example,

Sam 35 Kenny 43

I have made the excel document where the point totals will combine the scores or points from previous pages and total them on the last page. However, I would like the persons name with the highest point total to turn their name a different color than black (red).

Thanks for your help!

The text I want to flash does flash but when I close the program out then reopen it, a message pops up to disable or enable macros. No matter which one I click on the text doesn't keep flashing UNTIL I go back to TOOLS then go to macros and click back on the repeat one second setting again. Is there anyway I can get this text to keep on flashing without going through the process each time I open the excel document up?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
I had some difficulties with this code also. But what I was trying to do was a little different then what you were tring to do. This is why I asked VoG II for a modification.

As the link (provided by VoG II) said:
For any cell that you want to 'flash' put in a conditional formatting condition (using Formula Is) of =MOD(SECOND(NOW()),2)=1. Set the font/pattern/whatever as desired.

Now, in a regular VBA module, add the following:("code from link")

I did as the link suggested, as well as you may have. The only difference is I changed my code to "flash" 10 times.

This worked fine, for one time of running the code. If I tried to run it again , it would not work unlesss I did one of two things.
1. closed the book and reopen
2. clicked the reset button in the VBA window

Needless to say I went searching for a better solution for what I wanted and found something that works for me. I did find Joe's well put together code, too.

As far as Joe's comment:
do you have your flashing code in the "Thisworkbook" code module as the Open Event, as it should be?
in your other dup. post http://www.mrexcel.com/board2/viewtopic.php?p=1125249#1125249[/quote]

I don't know if that will work, have not tested.
Notice that I highlighted "Open Event", that is important

In ending, there are many topics on this subject. Try a search:
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q=site:MrExcel.com

for "Blinking Cells" or "Flashing Cells" and you will be supprised as to what is out there.

Side note for Joe: Don't know if the Conditional Formating has anything to do with the problems.

h.h.

Upvote 0
one more question

Everytime I go into "Thisworkbook" then click the left box and highlight WORKBOOK then the right box and click on OPEN if I try to delete or paste any codes in there is automatically switches back to General and Declarations. Am I doing something wrong?

Which code should I put in the OPEN box?

Dim NextTime As Date
Sub RepeatOneSec()
Application.Calculate
NextTime = Now() + TimeSerial(0, 0, 1)
Application.OnTime NextTime, "RepeatOneSec"
End Sub
Sub EndProcess()
Application.OnTime NextTime, "RepeatOneSec", , False
End Sub

or

=MOD(SECOND(NOW()),2)=1

Upvote 0
For your information.

I went ahead and put the code in the Worbook module as an OPEN Event.
It does not work in there and I suspect that it has something to do with the Conditional Formating that goes with the code.

(you where going about it the wrong way)
Everytime I go into "Thisworkbook" then click the left box and highlight WORKBOOK then the right box and click on OPEN if I try to delete or paste any codes in there is automatically switches back to General and Declarations. Am I doing something wrong?

I am not that good with VBA, and know that there are others who can explain why this does not work in the Workbook module.

And this is why I searched and found somethig that was better to use.

h.h.

Upvote 0
Try putting this in a regular module together with the flash code

Code:
Sub Auto_Open()
Call RepeatOneSec
End Sub

Upvote 0
P.S To avoid the prompt about macros you need to change the security level Tools > Macros > Security in Excel 2003.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
al mugheen

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back