MATCH function query

2016LM

Hi,

I hope this question hasn't already been answered, I promise I did search the forums prior to, but to no avail. I apologise if it has however.

Premise: I have a column starting at cell A1 (with a value of 0 i.e. zero), which increment by 0.1 upto and include cell A4601 e.g.

Cell No: Value:
A1 0
A2 0.1
A3 0.2
A4601 460

When I use MATCH to locate a number (specified in cell D2, which is rounded to one decimal place; not by using the ROUND function), I encounter an error (i.e. #N/A) when the match-type is 0 (i.e. zero);

MATCH($D$2,$A$1:$A$4601,0)

Please note: for values between 0 and 1.3, no error is encountered only >=1.4.

However, when I change the match_type to 1 (i.e. locate the largest value that is less than or equal to the desired value in D2, as opposed to locating the first cell that is exactly equal to D2) i.e.

MATCH($D$2,$A$1:$A$4601,1)

...it works!

I am at a bit of a loss as to why the MATCH with a match_type of 0 does not work, because all the numbers in column A are unique (i.e. not duplicated).

Any help or advice anyone could provide would be massively appreciated.

Kindest regards,

2016LM

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
It sounds like the numbers in column A have EXACTLY one decimal place (e.g. 1.5, 1.6, etc.) while the number in D2 is rounded to one decimal place (e.g. 1.59 showing as 1.6). Since 1.59 is not exactly equal to 1.6, match will not find 1.6 in column A.

Try =MATCH(ROUND($D$2,1),$A$1:$A$4601,0) to see if this is the case.

Upvote 0
Thanks for taking the time to review and reply to my query 63falcondude. I tried your suggestion, but still enounter the same error. Even when I type a number (to 1 d.p) into cell D2 (e.g. 2.3 or 1.6), MATCH still returns #N/A, but anything =<1.3 seems to work. I've tried reducing the range MATCH looks at, but, again, the same error persists. I do have a work around (i.e. using a match_type of 1), so have managed to progress my spreadsheet (though, I hasten to add, that I made a standalone spreadsheet, with just the cells outlined above populated, and the error persists), just a bit perplexed why a match_type of zero doesn't work.

Kind regards,

2016LM

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin, thanks for replying. Apologies, I should've mentioned in my initial post that I had tried populating the cells in column A using both a formula and without (i.e. just raw values), but to no avail. Same error persists.

Kind regards,
2016LM

Upvote 0
I can reproduce your situation if I use a formula in column A. I don't know the exact arithmetic behind the MATCH function, but I'm sure therein lies the issue. Some background here for example.

In the example below, the formula in A2 is copied down.
D15 is manually entered.
The EXACT function confirms the two values identical, but the standard MATCH function that you used returns #N/A as you described.
If we extend 63falcondude's idea of rounding to rounding both sections of the MATCH formula (array formula entry required), then it works.

It is somewhat worrying when things like this happen but an electronic calculation has to have some limits and sometimes that causes slight inaccuracies. :eek:

Excel 2010 32 bit
ABCDEFG
151.41.4TRUE#N/A15
MATCH
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A2=A1+0.1
E15=EXACT(D15,A15)
F15=MATCH(D15,A$1:A$4601,0)
G15{=MATCH(ROUND(D15,1),ROUND($A$1:$A$4601,1),0)}
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin, thanks for replying. Apologies, I should've mentioned in my initial post that I had tried populating the cells in column A using both a formula and without (i.e. just raw values), but to no avail. Same error persists.

Kind regards,
2016LM

The question is whether you have a formula in A. If that's the case, try wrap it into a ROUND call with num_digits set to 1. Both match types, exact and approximate, now should work.

Upvote 0
Ah right, spot on, thanks for your help Aladin and Peter_SSs; both suggestions work (still getting my head around array formulae, so will probably stick with simply rounding the cell contents). Seems odd that ROUND has to be used in order for an exact match_type to work, but as you intimated Peter_SSs, excel functions will themselves have limits. Anyway, thanks again to you both for taking the time and trouble to assist with my query, your help is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
2016LM

Upvote 0
Ah right, spot on, thanks for your help Aladin and Peter_SSs; both suggestions work (still getting my head around array formulae, so will probably stick with simply rounding the cell contents). Seems odd that ROUND has to be used in order for an exact match_type to work, but as you intimated Peter_SSs, excel functions will themselves have limits. Anyway, thanks again to you both for taking the time and trouble to assist with my query, your help is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
2016LM

Write ups like this one

Rounding And Precision In Excel

might help to understand the issue.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chislobog

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back