median calculation after auto filter

hinchah

Board Regular
i have 100 rows of data. when i use the autofilter my data changes to 15 rows. how can i write the median formula in cell B16 to find the median of the 15 rows of filtered data?? i am currently using this formula to find the average, =subtotal(1,B1:B100), but i cant figure out a way to do it for the median.

thanks

in the first formula i am using such a large range due to the fact that my data takes up rows 1 thru 10275, but i am really confused because the subtotal count function should allow me to put in the large range?? correct? such as my average calculation =subtotal(1,$C$1:$C$10275)??

Hi hinchah:

Are you using AUTOFILTER -- if you are then there is a limit of 1000 records that it can operate on.

You can switch over to Advanced Filter -- there you will not have this restriction.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
tom,

thanks for the code. i was wondering if the following is possible. here is my code:

Sub median()

Dim MedianCells As Range
Set MedianCells = Range("C2:C10274")
Range("c10315:c10353").Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.median(MedianCells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible))

Dim AverageCells As Range
Set AverageCells = Range("C2:C10274")
Range("c10276:c10314").Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Average(AverageCells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible))
End Sub

these are used to calculate my mean and median. how do i make the macro run instead of pressing alt+F8 every time i change my autofiltered data??

thanks

Upvote 0
And yet another option using VBA:

Sub MedianFiltered()
Dim MedianCells As Range
Set MedianCells = Range("B1:B100")
Range("B101").Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Median(MedianCells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible))
End Sub

This solution worked perfectly for an issue I was having. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Wow, thank you for the nice message Tarnold. I totally forgot about this one - - 6 years to the day + 3 and it resurfaces, great example of seeing users get their answer by searching for it. I neglected to put this answer in my library back in 2003 but it's definitely in there now, thanks again for the follow-up.

Edit, also made a note of Paddy's formula in #8 to also accomplish that, thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The easiest way to do this (in my mind) is to click on the tab (from the little numbered ones on the left of the window that appear after you calculate a subtotal) that shows only the range of subtotals you've already calculated, and use the 'visible cells only' option (Edit > Go To > Special) when specifying your dataset for median calculation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back