Merging data within two columns into one! (& and concatenate) NOT WORKING? (FOR MY JOB NOW, URGENT :(

sneeky

HI I have two columns
Req | Expiry Date
yes 11/12/2010
yes 08/06/2012
yes 02/07/2017

how do i merge both columns into one.. not losing any data hence

Req Expiry Date
yes 11/12/2010
yes 08/06/2017

I am using excel 2007
PLS HELP - ITS FOR WORK!:eek:

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
guys, forgot to add - sometimes the second column with dates does not have dates - could be blank, a text (eg, ''missing''), or a wrong date format)..
indeed sometimes the second column has a formula - saying if column 1 is correct, then put "Reqd' in second column...

the spreadsheets are a messing, im cleansing and need to get all data into 1 master sheet..some twitz thought they do there own thing :/

Last edited:
Upvote 0
guys, forgot to add - sometimes the second column with dates does not have dates - could be blank, a text (eg, ''missing''), or a wrong date format)..
And what would you like to happen in that situation?

Upvote 0
indeed sometimes the second column has a formula - saying if column 1 is correct, then put "Reqd' in second column...

the spreadsheets are a messing, im cleansing and need to get all data into 1 master sheet..some twitz thought they do there own thing :/
And what would you like to happen in that situation?
To add to Jonmo1's question... since you used month numbers of 12 or less in your examples, it is impossible to tell from those examples whether your date order is dd/mm/yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy... please tell us which date ordering you use.

Upvote 0
the cells are messed up, employees are putting whatever they want in.. incorrect date format, or n/a, or text or whatever..
at this stage i just want the two columns to merge with whatever 'stuff' they put in.. whatever format and sort it after..

if they put for example
req | expiry
yes | 07/12/2013
no | 8/9/10
n/a | dont know
oops | n/a

i just want: (SO I CAN AT THIS STAGE COPY/PASTE WITHOUT PROBLEM INTO MY MASTER SHEET WITH SAME HEADINGS/FORMAT)

one column with

req expiry
yes 07/12/2013
no 8/9/10
n/a dont know
oops n/a

i can shout at them later!

Upvote 0
Thank you all - jonmo and VOG!!!! life savers - love you guys!
saved me so much hassle.. i have another question coming up
which i hope u can help.. seems an easy idea but having issues!

Upvote 0
guys - is there a way to do this without inserting a new column for the formula - its not allowing me to insert a new column all the time as 'to prevent possible data loss, excel cannot shift non blank cells off the worksheet....
obviously i cannot remove blank cells?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AGreen17

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back