Merging two sheets/files into one?

new2waix

Board Regular
I am hoping someone can help me out on this little brain teaser.

I currently have two Excel Files:

:-> File 1 - Client Details

CLIENT NAME, CLIENT ID, CLIENT ADDRESS,....

:-> File 2 - Cash Balances

CLIENT ID, CASH AMOUNT

Now is there a way to merge File 1 and 2 together into one sheet or file?

Should probably mention, CLIENT ID is a number and File 2 is sorted in a different order to File 1. So will need to match Client ID's. Hope that makes sense.

Any help will be very much appreciated!

(Note I am a Excel programmer beginner)

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
merging the excel files

can anybody tell me how to compare names and merge two excel files excatly as above

Upvote 0
I think I have the same problem. I have two excel files on my macintosh.

I am trying to take column B of information from "Products on web from GUI.xls" and enter it into a new column in "04162010 WebDump.XLS"

Column A in "Products on web from GUI.xls" must match column B in "04162010 WebDump.XLS"

Does this make sense?

Upvote 0
Hi everybody! I'm new here :)

I saw your excellent solutions to the previous problems, Zack. Your skill and willingness to help gave me hope that there might was a similar solution to my problem.

I have 2 files. A list of spare-part numbers for all of the company's products, called "A". The other contains the sparepartnumbers for only one product. Lets call this one "B".

I want it to match the numbers, then adding a little note in file "A" that this spare-part is used to make the product "SomeName".

Now comes the really tricky part (i think): There are some numbers in "B" that aren't contained in "A". I need to know which of them it is.

Hope it makes sense, even with my bad English :)
Any help and input will be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0
Hi all
in the same way of questions.
Imagine I have several excel files...all have the same colums names.
And I want to create a unique file, but merging for the same ID, all the data of the files and put in the new one.
For exemple

I have 2 catalogs:

catalog1:

author;title;edition;isbn
toto;titi;2010;123456
tata;tutu;2009;
dernier;j'ai plus de tutu;1970;654321

catalog2:

toto;titi;2010;
tata;tutu;2009;4433444

At the end I would like to create this file with all the data missing in the other catalogs...

toto;titi;2010;123456
tata;tutu;2009;4433444

Is it possible to do?
Think I have excel 2003, and 50 catalogs..

Thanks in advance
Cheers

Upvote 0
I have 2 xl documents I would like to print one at the top of the page and the second one at the bottom and am wondering if that can be done? Obviousley the colum widths will be different sizes and will not line up so I don't see how it will work but am hoping there is a chance it might.:confused:

Upvote 0
I have a slightly different twist on the topic.

I have two excel files that contain different column headings, except one column in each file contains social security numbers. What I want Excel to do is look at the SSNs in each file, and wherever there is a match, grab the cell contents from a specific column in File 2 and copy it to File 1.

However, it looks like I have a problem in that the SSN data in each file is formatted differently. In File 1 the SSNs appear as 9 digit numbers with leading zeros. I looked at the format for SSN in File 1 and it appears the data are text. However, in File 2 the SSNs contain dashes in the format xxx-xx-xxxx. I tried highlighting the column, then replacing the dashes with nothing, but I end up with string text without the leading zeros.

If anyone can help me through this exercise I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Upvote 0
i'd use a vlookup in File 1.

insert an extra column in File 1. use a formula like this:

=vlookup($b2,'[File 2.xls]Client Details'!$a$2:$b$1000,2,0)
{change ranges to suit}
copy down as needed. once all values are obtained, select all (Ctrl + A), copy/paste special (values). then delete File 2. :biggrin:

hth

Can you explain what parts I would need to edit to use this? I have a list of customers contact info listed by customer number (column A) and another sheet with customers who have outstanding balances listed by customer number with out contact info (again column A) in another sheet

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M V Arun

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back