Multiple AND and Parenthesis

aiki100

Board Regular
Hello all -

If anyone has a moment to help with this, I would be greatly appreciative, thanks -

In O365 excel tells me there is a problem with my formula. I have tried a good many versions of this trying to work it out, and (think) it is in the parentheses. If this is indeed the case, and you can point me to any source that can better help me in the future to learn how to construct parenthesis within formulas, that would be great.

Hope you all have a good week - thank you again,

=IF(AND((G3 – H3) > 4 * (F3 – I3)), ((G3 – I3) / (.001 + G3 – H3) >= 0.75)), ((G3 – F3) / (.001 + G3 – H3) >= 0.75))),"H","")

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
If there is a problem with your parenthesis in general, then Excel will correct it for you.

My guess is that it is something else.

Upvote 0
I think there might me multiple problems with this.

Your AND is ending right after the F3-I3, but I don't understand your condition.
This is what you have put in the AND:
(G3 – H3) > 4 * (F3 – I3)

I don't think this is probably what you mean.

Can you explain what you are trying to accomplish exactly?

Upvote 0
There is a problem with your AND.
It would help to know what you are trying to do, but maybe:
=IF(AND((G3-H3)>4*(F3-I3),(G3-I3)/(0.001+G3-H3)>=0.75,(G3-F3/(0.001+G3-H3)>=0.75)),"H","")

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for the input - it is greatly appreciated.

I am trying to return "H" if all three AND criteria are met, and to leave blank "", if criteria is not met.

=IF(AND((G3-H3)>4*(F3-I3),
(G3-I3)/(0.001+G3-H3)>=0.75,
(G3-F3/(0.001+G3-H3)>=0.75)),
"H","")

I break this out to illustrate what the criteria are (and I actually try to do this when I am building things out to make sure each piece of logic is good). As it is, Ahoy's (thank you Ahoy) formula at least does not return an error, but is also not producing expected results. This is likely me having something wrong, unless you all see some syntax error in the multiple AND criteria.

Thanks again to you all…!

Upvote 0
The formula seem to work when I try it. Maybe post what's in the cells F2 to I3.

Book1
FGHI
4H
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F4F4=IF(AND((G3-H3)>4*(F3-I3),(G3-I3)/(0.001+G3-H3)>=0.75,(G3-F3/(0.001+G3-H3)>=0.75)),"H","")

Upvote 0
Thank you very much Ahoy, for your time and attention - yes, the formula works without a hitch, thank you, but was not producing expected results, so I found another way around it.

Otoh, what you were kind enough to detail here helped me learn for the next time and I thank you for that- hope you have a fine week!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBFrieds

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back