Multiple IF statements when logical tests are numbers and some numbers have a letter included

L

Legacy 194999

I have a costing workbook and one of the pages is titled "AllJobs", where info for all incoming jobs is entered as is completed info for that job (such as labor hrs & other expenses). Each incoming job is assigned a job number when it is entered on the "AllJobs" sheet. Job numbers are based upon the yr rcvd & in which order they are received. For example, all jobs rcvd in 2015 will have a job number that begins with 15 and will follow in numerical order from there. Job 1501 indicates the first job rcvd in 2015, 1510 would be the tenth job rcvd in 2015, job number 1422 would be the 22nd job rcvd in 2014, etc. From that sheet, information automatically flows into other sheets, and everything is based on the job number. So, in the "CostingSheet", I enter 1509 in the designated job number cell, and all the information from "AllJobs" for that job automatically flows into the "CostingSheet", as well as other information from other sheets (such as the overhead figure for that yr, etc, etc.) From that Costing Sheet I can see the Total Revenue for that job, the break even figure, the Net Profit, Net Profit Margin, labor costs, etc, etc. All works very well except for one thing. Sometimes a customer will include two jobs on one Purchase Order....two different Part Numbers, with different due dates, requiring different materials, different processes, different labor, etc. In those cases, the job number is assigned as two jobs but indicating they're on the same Purchase Order, as was this job in 2014, for example: The 9th job of 2014, which would normally be numbered 1409 but because the PO included two different jobs, they were numbered 1409a and 1409b. That still works okay except for things that flow from the "MASTER-Calculations" sheet, which include things like Workers' Comp rates for that year, that year's individual labor costs for each operator, etc., which change from year to year. This is the formula I'm using to tell the Costing Sheet where to look for the labor rate based on the job number, which is based on the year. (B6 is the cell where the job number is entered, <1399 would be all jobs before 2014, <1499 would be all 2014 jobs, >1500 would include all 2015 jobs) =IF($B$6<1399,'MASTER-Calculations'!$B$24,IF($B$6<"1499",'MASTER-Calculations'!$C$24,IF($B$6>1500,'MASTER-Calculations'!D24)))) As the formula is written (with "" around 1499), I get the correct 2014 information for all 2014 jobs, including those jobs w/ letters following the number, and I get the correct 2013 info for all the 2013 jobs (none of which were split/numbered like this). However, I also get 2014 information for all the 2015 jobs, no matter how they're numbered. If I take the "" away, leaving just 1499 in the formula, I get the correct information for the 2015 jobs and all 2014 jobs EXCEPT those that have a letter following the number. For those jobs, the 2015 information is returned. I've tried using both in the formula, =IF($B$6<1399,'MASTER-Calculations'!$B$24,IF($B$6<"1499",'MASTER-Calculations'!$C$24,IF($B$6<1499,'MASTER-Calculations'!$C$24,IF($B$6>1500,'MASTER-Calculations'!D24)))), but that doesn't work either. Can you please tell me how I can have the correct information fill in without needing to go back and change our whole job numbering system or change the formula anytime I need to get info for a job that has mixed numeric and text value? Sorry for the novel, hope it makes sense. I will so appreciate any help! Thank you.....

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Maybe not the best solution, but came up with something myself.

In case someone else has a similar problem and can't find an answer, this solved the issues I was seeking solutions for:
=IF($B$6<1400,'MASTER-Calculations'!$B$24,IF($B$6<1500,'MASTER-Calculations'!$C$24,IF($B$6>="1400",'MASTER-Calculations'!$C$24,IF($B$6<1600,'MASTER-Calculations'!D24,IF($B$6>1599,"NO JOBS")))))

I added the new last part in case someone enters a job beginning with 16, which would indicate a 2016 job, not yet in existance, and put two "IF" statements to address the 2014 jobs that have a mixture of numbers and letters. I guess we'll have to redo our job numbering system beginning this year so we don't have to add that for every year. Otherwise, this is working for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeanHT

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back