Multiple instances of excel 2007

tomhd

Hi
I just installed excel 2007 and encounter a strange problem. When I open 2 or more excel instances from windows explore by double-clicking excel icons, those instances are not linkable, they seem absolutely independent to one another (in View/switch windows only sees one workbook). However when I open second file from within the first instance (Ctrl+O), I see 2 in the view/switch windows and it works fine.

What is the problem and how can I fix it? Many thanks

This problem is probably due to a previous installation-disinstallation of another version of Office that left some dirty registry keys.

In windows 7 with Excel 2007 I solved in this way: click on an excel 2007 file (.xlxs) with the right mouse button -> open with -> choose another program like notepad and flag "always use the selected program to open this kind of file". Do the same thing again on the same file reassigning Excel as default program.

Use the same procedure with and Excel 97-2003 file (.xls).

Let me know if it work!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Like Scotawful on the previous page I've got sort of the opposite problem of most:

I've always been used to Excel opening additions files in the same instance, when opening them from Explorer. I like this because:
- you can't move or copy tabs between files in different instances
- my Recent File list gets totally mixed up (by not getting updated properly) when multiple instances are open
I'm sure there are other downsides that I can't think of right now. I can also see benefits to multiple instances (linked files not getting undesired updates) but I don't need those right now. In the rare case that I might, I will know how to launch a second instance.

So I'd like to be able to open multiple files in the same instance from Explorer, without having to open them from Excel's file menu.

I'm running Excel 2000 on Windows Vista. (Unfortunately I let my free upgrade to Win7 expire apparently :( ) Vista's Explorer does not offer the File Type menu that older versions of Windows did so I can't change the DDE settings. Also, the option mentioned by mante80 above (associating the file type with a different application and then again with Excel) did not work.

The current behaviour is not a disaster but I'd be very happy if I could get back to what I've always been used to: Excel by default using a single instance (like my MS Word and PowerPoint still do).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You may want to have a go with the tool mentioned here.
I assume you have already checked that the 'Ignore other applications that use DDE' option is not checked.

Upvote 0
You may want to have a go with the tool mentioned here.
I assume you have already checked that the 'Ignore other applications that use DDE' option is not checked.

Upvote 0
I did notice that page but I did not have the impression I'd be able to change these details with that tool. I'll give it a try now.

I have no idea where to check 'Ignore other applications that use DDE', lacking the File Type tab in Vista Explorer.

Upvote 0
That is an Excel setting - in the Advanced section under Excel Options.

Upvote 0
There is no 'Advanced' tab under Options with me. The tabs I've got are:
- View
- Calculation
- Edit
- General
- Transition
- Custom Lists
- Chart
- Color

I guess I've got a 'too' old verion of Excel. I'm using Excel 2000. Sorry for hijacking a thread that's actually about Excel 2007 but I presumed the solution would be pretty much the same for different editions.

Upvote 0
The option in Power Tools that I find that seems relevant is 'Send DDE message to application'. It's currenly unticked for .xls

Should I tick it?

Upvote 0
For 2000, it's Tools-Options-General tab (second Setting from the top).

Yes, the Send DDE should be ticked and the box below should have:

[open("%1")]

in it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back