Multiple Intersections, Conditional Formating

bschulze

I'm looking to apply a cell highlight to all intersections where the row and column heading match. The data set will be a pivot table, but if this prohibits the application of formatting I can work with a table. Solution needs to be Excel 2007 compatible. An example of what I'm looking for below.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, conditional formatting is not my strong suit.

Excel 2007
ABCDEF
2Type268915
Sheet1

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Under conditional formatting, "use a formula to determine which cells to format:"

=MATCH($A1,A$1,0)

And under "applies to" choose your entire table so =$A$1:$F$11 or however large your table is

Kinda confused about the way your table looks with row 1 saying "A B C D E F" ... not sure if you meant that to be the actual top of the excel sheet or what... but either way MATCH works just arrange it however you'd like

Upvote 0
I would use conditional formatting on B3, with the formula =($A3=B$2)
and copy the formatting to the other cells.

Upvote 0
Thanks Sven, I see this works for a table setup, and idea if this is possible with a Pivot Table where the range would be automatically adjusted? FYI...the HTML creator inserts the A, B, C... and 1, 2, 3 along the Column and Rows respectfully. Perhaps a VDA solution using an AfterUpdate on the Pivot Table refresh?

Upvote 0
Mike, Sven's Match formula worked. Your formula was shifted one cell over and up (-1C and -1R). Neither adjusted automatically for a range change. Perhaps I'm missing something? In conditional formatting you need to highlight the range to apply it to right?

Upvote 0
Apply my formula in B3 (test to see that it works right for you) and then copy that cell. Select the rest of your range and PasteSpecial>Validation.

Upvote 0
Thank Mike, but when the range of the Pivot Table changes neither solutions accounts for the change as the range is predefined in the conditional formatting. Any thoughts on a solution for a PT?

Upvote 0
Can you just change the affected range to a very large area to cover however large your pivot table may be? I use Excel a lot but I actually have very little experience with pivot tables.

Upvote 0
Sven, I don't believe your solution will work that way, but Mike's should. I haven't tested just have a feeling. I'd really like to avoid a sloppy solution as the range can change greatly and this will end up in users hands, who will inevitably find a way to break it. I'd prefer a pivot table solution, but if I need to code a table solution I will. Thanks Sven and Mike.

Anyone else have thoughts on a pivot table solution?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aby2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back