Multiply A Constant Number By A Changing Variable

NewToThis86

Hello All!
My deepest apologies if this has already been asked, as I am sure it has, but I am at work and do not have the time to hunt in the past threads.

I am not very Excel savvy as I am more accustomed to film work, that said, I am doing some data entry and want to make my job a touch easier.

I am creating a budget tracker to keep our expenses in line, and I am stuck on how to create a formula that will do what I want. Essentially, I need one that will multiply our constant price for certain goods (10.18, 112, 32.64) by the changing variable of how many items they receive (1, 2 ,3, etc). I've tried creating 3 cells containing the constants and tried to create a formula that way, but it ends up being circular.

Help me, Mr Excel. You're my only hope.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
with the no of items in A1, A2 & A3

=SUMPRODUCT(A1:C1,{10.18,112,32.64})

Upvote 0
with the no of items in A1, A2 & A3

=SUMPRODUCT(A1:C1,{10.18,112,32.64})

So on my sheet I have 10.18 in B1, 112 in B2, and 32.64 in B3 and I am trying to get the product into CM12 currently. So when I type 2 (for the amount of items received) in CM12, I want the product of 2 and 10.18 to appear, 3 in CM13, I want the product of 3 and 32.64 to appear, and 2 in CM14, I want the product of 2 and 112 to show up.

Upvote 0
So on my sheet I have 10.18 in B1, 112 in B2, and 32.64 in B3 and I am trying to get the product into CM12 currently. So when I type 2 (for the amount of items received) in CM12, I want the product of 2 and 10.18 to appear, 3 in CM13, I want the product of 3 and 32.64 to appear, and 2 in CM14, I want the product of 2 and 112 to show up.

a bit confused here.

lets say the prices of A, B & C are 10.18, 112 & 32.64 repectively.

for the text in RED, is it 2 items of product A?

for the text in BLUE, is it 3 items of product C (as price is 32.64)?

and 2 in CM14, the product of 2 and 112, 2 items of product C?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, that appears right.
So Item A is priced at 10.18 and a customer orders 3 of those. In the cell I want to be able to type "3" and the formula to calculate "10.18*3", and then the same for the corresponding prices.
I know this sounds really confusing, at least it is for me to explain, but it has to be pretty straightforward.

Upvote 0
in that case

Excel 2012
CMCN
11No of ItemsTotal
Sheet5

Excel 2012
CN
Sheet5
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
CN12=IF(CM12>0,$B$1,0)*CM12
CN13=IF(CM13>0,$B$3,0)*CM13
CN14=IF(CM14>0,$B$2,0)*CM14

Last edited:
Upvote 0
right, you wanted to input 3 in CM13, say, then the result of 97.92 written on CM13 itself?
i don't think that's possible, at least for me.

Upvote 0
The problem with that is that I'd have to add an extra column for number of items to each corresponding column (each column is a dated event). I have been utilizing several sources to figure this out, and have realized that whenever I enter the number of items, the formula gets erased. So, in that case, it has been suggested to add a macro to each cell.

Upvote 0
The problem with that is that I'd have to add an extra column for number of items to each corresponding column (each column is a dated event). I have been utilizing several sources to figure this out, and have realized that whenever I enter the number of items, the formula gets erased. So, in that case, it has been suggested to add a macro to each cell.

now i see what you're trying to achieve.
to be quite honest even if it's doable without an extra column then it has no audit trail for the input/output and just becomes a blackbox.

Upvote 0
Yeah :(
I took this spreadsheet over from someone and it is set up horribly. I'm glad to see that I wasn't missing something simple. Thanks for your help!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojomen56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back