Need a little help finishing this simple database

HockeyDiablo

Board Regular
I am trying to create a small database for a project I am working on but I am not so well versed in Access. I have attached the database to my google drive for review. I was wondering if someone could help out or at least point me in the right direction to success as I can not find the resolutions I need online.

1. I would like "Text 130" to carry the logic that {Credit} is a +Positive and any other instance would be a -Negative "deduction from credits received."

2. I cant seem to add a new customer to the database.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxMHH822lN3KNndPSlNleE0tbnM/view?usp=sharing

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
1. You're doing a sum over AlertsConsumed, so I don't understand your statement.
2. I can find no parent control called Utility1 anywhere on your main form, which would indicate it's the problem. However, it shows up in the linking dialog, but I cannot find it in the form object list.
Sorry to say your form design is far from being easy to trouble shoot. You've got so many controls with meaningless names such as Text46 which may be fine for you since you know what's going on in it, but for those who don't, it's an undesirable barrier.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your feedback on this. I am doing a sum over AlertsConsumed but it adds everything up where I need Credits to be a positive number, like you are adding credits. Then every other instance should be deducted from that available credit.

[Utility1] is in the UserNames table, Tracking table has [Utility]. It is how I linked the 2 together.

Text46 is unbound because it held personal data that I omitted in my example. I can add that in later. I just need help on the figuring out of Text130 and adding a new customer

UtilityAlertCampaignAlertsConsumedAlertDate
Beaver DamCredit10012/7/2015
Beaver DamLine Repair Interruption3012/17/2015
Beaver DamNo Entry302/28/2015
Beaver DamLine Repair Interruption303/15/2015

<caption> Tracking </caption><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

So TEXT130 should equal 10 since 100 credits were added and 90 were utilized. Right now I am getting 190.

Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
Then every other instance should be deducted from that available credit.
Then you need to store the deductions as negative numbers. You can simply multiply by -1 when writing these values to the table.

[Utility1] is in the UserNames table, Tracking table has [Utility]. It is how I linked the 2 together.
Then it has to be somewhere on the main form. Likely you cannot add a record since there is no linkage between utility1 on the subform and utility on the main (which isn't there).

Text46 is unbound because it held personal data that I omitted in my example.
Whether it's bound or not, the issue is that it's name means nothing to me, thus is harder to relate to any of the label captions I see. A year from now when you have to troubleshoot this, you'll likely find you're poking around trying to connect the dots too. It's poor design practice, sorry to say.

Upvote 0
Great idea on multiply by -1 so I will just have to write that any condition other than "Credit" will be * -1

Then I will look into how to properly link those 2 together and hopefully get my resolution that way.

The other data "text46" is irrelevant to what I need accomplished so I wont entertain that anymore.

Thanks for the tips

Upvote 0
Take a tip from someone who learnt the hard way. :)
Do not use the default naming for unbound fields. Give them a meaningful name, like TxtAmount, cmdCalculate, cboAccount
The first would be for a textbox, the second for a command button, the third for a combobox. They do not have to be named exactly like that, but with something you are comfortable with.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukaderanged

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back