Need a sequential number for each record returned by query in access.

sburch032870

So I have a database that issues transmittal documents for each client. Each client has multiple projects that I manage. My DB has a master transmittal number (Primary Key) that keeps the records in order for the client. What I really need to do is from the single Primary Key (here it is the master transmittal number) that no matter what other records contain, the query which will pull by project, should return any records issued for that project ordered by the Primary Key (here ID) but then adding a sequential number to a field based on the records returned in the query.

This way if I issue only 5 transmittals to project 611 out of 1000 transmittals to other projects it will sequence the query records first in order of the Primary Key then insert a sequential number into a query-number field which I will use on the report and form side as the sequential transmittal number for that project by formatting it in either the form or report. That way I have a master sequential number for the document type issued for each client, but then when I have to answer a subpoena, I can pull the appropriate records with sequential numbering and they do not think that I am skipping records because the transmittal number is from the master list where only a few records are relevant or were issued for this project.

I have put together a sample database that the has the basics of what the main system has in it. The only real issue is that I need this code/macro/whatever to be portable so that I can just drop it into the next client DB if possible. If not I could build the client DB around a template transmittal DB that was working this way. Link --- http://www.sburch.com/query/Transmittal System.accdb

I also uploaded a printed transmittal with some notes to better display what I am in the end needed to end up with. http://www.sburch.com/query/Transmittal Numbering Project Page 001.jpg

Screen of TRX Table http://www.sburch.com/query/TRX Table.png

I have been searching for an answer to this for a year now, I have spent hours looking at every possible idea but none seem to ever work properly, that may be me implementing them incorrectly (very likely) but I am at a loss and could really use some help. Since I have had so much luck from all of the nice people here withe Excel questions, my wife suggest that I post this here, I did not even know that there was an Access forum!!!!

Thank you for reviewing this....there is a bunch of other fields all in the same table for simplicity, I am not an expert on any level and when I turn these files over for a claim, I do not want to have to explain a bunch of queries are the main reasons.

Table name = "Tbl - {TRX} Trx Data"

TLogID
ProjectNo
ToNameAttn
TDate
TRX.00018010Sample Company 1First Last11/2/2014
TRX.00028017Sample Company 1First Last11/4/2014

<caption>
</caption> <thead>
</thead> <tbody>
</tbody> <tfoot></tfoot>

Last edited:

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
One thing that may help make this more clear is I am looking to have this from a project select query.
TLogIDProjectNoTRXNoForProjectToNameAddress
TRX.000280171Sample Company 11213 Street

<caption> Copy Of Qry - {TRX} Trx Print </caption> <thead>
</thead> <tbody>
</tbody> <tfoot></tfoot>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHOJ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back