Need to Count unique items in a column with VBA

MikeJP

Board Regular
I need to count the number of unique items in a column (excluding blank cells if possible) in VBA. I want to use the number as follows:

For x = 1 to (number of unique items)

To control how many times I pass through a loop.

Thanks
Mike Piles

Ok. Here is the data I'm drawing from. I want to search column U.
IncidentPersonnelReportsTemplateVer111.xls
STUV
1MonthDayofWeekIncidentTypeClassIncidentType
2NovemberWednesdayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire
3NovemberWednesdayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire
4NovemberWednesdayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire
5NovemberSundayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire
6NovemberSundayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire
7NovemberSundayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire
8NovemberThursdayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire
9NovemberThursdayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire
10NovemberThursdayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire
11NovemberSaturdayRescue&EmergencyMedicalServiceIncidentsMotorvehicle/pedestrianaccident(MVPed)
12NovemberSaturdayRescue&EmergencyMedicalServiceIncidentsMotorvehicle/pedestrianaccident(MVPed)
13NovemberSaturdayRescue&EmergencyMedicalServiceIncidentsMotorvehicle/pedestrianaccident(MVPed)
14NovemberMondayRescue&EmergencyMedicalServiceIncidentsHighanglerescue
15NovemberMondayRescue&EmergencyMedicalServiceIncidentsHighanglerescue
PersonnelResponseData

This is the pivot table where I need the count to go, it should be before number of personnel.
IncidentPersonnelReportsTemplateVer111.xls
ABCD
2UnitResponseSummary
4Month(All)
5Year(All)
6Station(All)
7Shift(All)
8District(All)
9ActivityPeriod(All)
10IncidentType(All)
12UnitIDIncidentClassNumberofPersonnelTotalTime
14Rescue&EmergencyMedicalServiceIncidents9135
15101Total9135
18FalseAlarm&FalseCall40336
19Fire30435
20HazardousConditions(Nofire)4112
21Rescue&EmergencyMedicalServiceIncidents491,829
22201Total1232,712
Unit Response Summary

The piece of code I had posted before is the relevent section of code for the data field where the count should occur and become part of my table.

Does that clarify any further for you? The code you've given does indeed work, it just keeps telling me that I have no unique items. :confused:

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
The following works for me:
Book2
ABCDE
1MonthDayofWeekIncidentTypeClassIncidentTypeUniqueCount
2NovemberWednesdayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire3
3NovemberWednesdayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire3
4NovemberWednesdayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire
5NovemberSundayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire
6NovemberSundayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire
7NovemberSundayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire
8NovemberThursdayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire
9NovemberThursdayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire
10NovemberThursdayFireBrush,orbrushandgrassmixturefire
11NovemberSaturdayRescue&EmergencyMedicalServiceIncidentsMotorvehicle/pedestrianaccident(MVPed)
12NovemberSaturdayRescue&EmergencyMedicalServiceIncidentsMotorvehicle/pedestrianaccident(MVPed)
13NovemberSaturdayRescue&EmergencyMedicalServiceIncidentsMotorvehicle/pedestrianaccident(MVPed)
14NovemberMondayRescue&EmergencyMedicalServiceIncidentsHighanglerescue
15NovemberMondayRescue&EmergencyMedicalServiceIncidentsHighanglerescue
Sheet5
<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Function</SPAN> CntUnique(myRng<SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> Range)<SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Long</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> Uni<SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> Collection, cl<SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> Range, LpRange<SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> Range<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> clswfrm<SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> Range, clswcst<SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN> Range<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Dim</SPAN> TotUni<SPAN style="color:darkblue">As</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Long</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">On</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Error</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Resume</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Next</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> clswfrm = myRng.SpecialCells(xlFormulas)<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> clswcst = myRng.SpecialCells(xlConstants)<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> myRng =<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Nothing</SPAN><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green">'free up memory</SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">On</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Error</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">GoTo</SPAN> 0<SPAN style="color:darkblue">If</SPAN> clswfrm<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Is</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Nothing</SPAN> And clswcst<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Is</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Nothing</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Then</SPAN>
    MsgBox "No Unique Cells"
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Exit</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Function</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">ElseIf</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Not</SPAN> clswfrm<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Is</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Nothing</SPAN> And<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Not</SPAN> clswcst<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Is</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Nothing</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Then</SPAN>
        <SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> LpRange = Union(clswcst, clswfrm)
    <SPAN style="color:darkblue">ElseIf</SPAN> clswfrm<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Is</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Nothing</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Then</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> LpRange = clswcst
    Else:<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> LpRange = clswfrm<SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">If</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> clswfrm = Nothing:<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> clswcst =<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Nothing</SPAN><SPAN style="color:green">'Free up memory</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> Uni =<SPAN style="color:darkblue">New</SPAN> Collection<SPAN style="color:darkblue">On</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Error</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Resume</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Next</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">For</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Each</SPAN> cl<SPAN style="color:darkblue">In</SPAN> LpRange
    Uni.Add cl.Value,<SPAN style="color:darkblue">CStr</SPAN>(cl.Value)<SPAN style="color:green">'assign unique key string</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Next</SPAN> cl<SPAN style="color:darkblue">On</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Error</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">GoTo</SPAN> 0<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> LpRange =<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Nothing</SPAN><SPAN style="color:green"><SPAN style="color:green">'free up memory</SPAN></SPAN>
TotUni = Uni.Count
CntUnique = Uni.Count<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Set</SPAN> Uni =<SPAN style="color:darkblue">Nothing</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">End</SPAN><SPAN style="color:darkblue">Function</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0
Ok, I've put in the function and referenced it as follows:
Code:
With ActiveSheet.PivotTables("Unit Response Summary").PivotFields( _
        "Incident Type Class")
        .Orientation = xlDataField
        .Position = 1
        .Caption = "Count"
        .Function = CntUnique(Incident Type Class)
        .NumberFormat = "#,##0"
End With
It gives a "Compile error: Syntax Error" message. When I try and use "U:U" or "U" or "U,U" to reference the correct range, I get "Compile error: Type mismatch"

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Upvote 0
This is for a user interface. They will only see the pivot tables. The data sheet is going to be hidden.

Do I have any other options here?

Upvote 0
MikeJP,

You don’t mention the type of data that you are counting - numbers, alphas or alphanumerics? The following macro will count unique items for all types of data (blank cells are ignored). If you are counting just numbers, then change COUNTA to COUNT (assumes no zeros).

Assume that your data is in column A. Cell A1 must have a label. Added advantage of returning a list of the unique items in column B.

Count of unique items returned to cell D2.
Code:
Sub test1()
Range("A1:A65536").AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, _
   CopyToRange:=Cells(1, 2), Unique:=True
Range("D2").FormulaR1C1 = "=COUNTA(RC[-2]:R[64998]C[-2])"
End Sub
More “fancy”:
Code:
Sub test2()
Dim myRng As Range
Set myRng = Sheets(2).[A:A]

myRng.AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, CopyToRange:=Cells(1, 2), Unique:=True

With Range("D2")
    .FormulaR1C1 = "=COUNTA(RC[-2]:R[64998]C[-2])"
    .Value = .Value
End With

End Sub
HTH

Mike

Upvote 0
Hmmm, maybe turn off screen updates, filter in place, count the visible cells (special cells, one need not worry about count() or counta() here, although counta() should suffice), kill the filter, turn on your updates, and you have a VBA process, without mucking with your actual spreadsheet too much.

Apples, tack the count on beside the PT.

I'm still not following, what are you counting again?

I'm starting to think of sql and cross tabs, never have done one with an Excel table... Might be crazy enough to work... :)

Upvote 0
I need a count of each type of incident class for each unit ID. This number is then used in determining the average number of personnel for each incident class for each unit ID. This I was planning on putting to the side of the PT. I'm open to any ideas you may have... :p

Upvote 0
That is what I originally had. However it returns the number of times a category is listed, so I end up with duplicates. It's mirroring the personnel counts.

To better illustrate my conundrum please look at the pivot I posted. For the first unit there are 9 people listed. The incident count also was showing 9, but when you look at the detail behind these numbers you see that it was a single incident with 9 personnel involved, hence my search for a more accurate way of reporting the incident counts.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quiet_Nectarine_

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back