Not exactly an excel question but...

redpipe67

Board Regular
Hi guys,
I figured this would be a good place for a question around calculating a result.
I am trying to figure out how to calculate some basic information for a Slot Machine with 3 pieces of information, Coin In, Hold % and Win.
Coin In is the money inserted into the slot machine and wagered, Hold % is the amount of wagered money held back by the slot machine as Win.
If I inserted $10 and the hold % was 10%, then the Win on the $10 would be $1 and $9 would be returned to the player which would then be reinserted, $0.90 would be held, $8.10 returned and so on until nothing remained.
This reinserting of the ever decreasing money to re-wager is called recycled money and ultimately once the slot machine was in possession of the entire $10 then the value of recycled money inserted would be $10 / 10% =$100.
It's not exactly how slot machines work but for the sake of this example, we'll imagine that it is.
Now for my question.
If I had the following pieces of Information for a period of time:
Coin In - $1,000,000
Hold % - 9%
Win - $90,000
However my desire for this period was to achieved a 10% hold. Using this 10% value I want to recalculate the Coin In (Recycled Coin) and Win values to see how this would affect them. I seem to be running into a result I don't feel is correct but am ultimately here for validation.
Initially I would imagine that 10% of $1,000,000 would be $100,000 for the Win figure but this would not be correct because recycled Coin In would be reduced from $1,000,000 if a hold of 10% had been achieved and not 9%.
So I figure the Coin In figure would drop from $1,000,000 to $900,000 instead using the Win value of ($90,000 / the 10% Hold ) however I feel this is also wrong since I forces an end result of a $90,000 win even though I achieved an extra 1% hold (9% to 10%). Maybe it's because I'm working backwards from a specific result I only end up with the same result and adjusted Coin In and hold% but I feel the answer lies somewhere in-between a $900,000 - $1,000,000 Coin In value and a $90,000 - $100,000 Win value with more involved than just dividing or multiplying combinations of these 3 values for the correct result.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Basically you are asking about Game Theory and/or statistical probability; if you are so inclined I say buy some books related to the subject

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyko

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back