Number of possible outcomes

trader10518

Suppose there is a building with 18 windows per floor.
The architect says he would like to randomly select any 4 windows per floor to be toned in a different colour.
However, there should remain at least 2 regular windows between any pair of toned windows.

How can I calculate the number of possible combinations per floor?

Thanks,
Arthur

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
First, what you describe is a combinatorial math problem, not an Excel problem. Moreover, I suspect this is a class assignment. I'm sure you would not want us to spoonfeed a math solution, and rob you of the fun of developing it yourself (wink), based on your class instruction.

So if you provide a math formula for the solution, it is appropriate to ask this forum for help in implementing it in Excel -- unless your class is an Excel/VBA class.

Second, the problem statement is unclear. Does the rule about 2 plain windows between 2 toned windows apply only to each floor (horizontally), or also between floors (vertically!)?

For example, consider two possible 3-floor configurations (P=plain; T=toned):

Rich (BB code):
(a)         (b)
PPTTPPTT    PPTTPPTT
PPTTPPTT    TTPPTTPP
PPTTPPTT    PPTTPPTT

Is #a allowed; or is #b required?

------

PS.... And is the building "circular"? In other words, consider the ends of the 18 windows on one floor (P=plain; T= toned):

Rich (BB code):
(a)                       (b)
TTPP...10windows...PPTT    TTPP...8windows...PPTTPP

Is #a allowed; or is #b required because the 2 windows on the left after (considered) adjacent to the 2 windows on the right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Second, the problem statement is unclear.

And finally, you write "randomly select any 4 windows". Must the 4 toned windows appear as 2 pairs (surrounded by 2 or more plain windows)?

Or is the following permitted, for example: TPTPTPT...11plainWindows.... ?

Upvote 0
Oops! I exceeded the 10-min limit again! I just wanted to add....

My clarifying questions are for the benefits of others. I am not likely to particpate further, because combinatorial problems give me a headache (wink).

I would solve the problem by writing a VBA algorithm that exhaustively generates all 2^18 (262144) configurations for each floor (and possibly combinations of 2 and 3 floors), and count the "winners" based on the clarified rules.

But if we can consider each one floor independently, we could generate the 2^18 configurations in Excel cells, apply the clarified rules in another column, and count the "winners", all with Excel formulas.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
First, what you describe is a combinatorial math problem, not an Excel problem. Moreover, I suspect this is a class assignment. I'm sure you would not want us to spoonfeed a math solution, and rob you of the fun of developing it yourself (wink), based on your class instruction.

So if you provide a math formula for the solution, it is appropriate to ask this forum for help in implementing it in Excel -- unless your class is an Excel/VBA class.

Second, the problem statement is unclear. Does the rule about 2 plain windows between 2 toned windows apply only to each floor (horizontally), or also between floors (vertically!)?

For example, consider two possible 3-floor configurations (P=plain; T=toned):

Rich (BB code):
(a)         (b)
PPTTPPTT    PPTTPPTT
PPTTPPTT    TTPPTTPP
PPTTPPTT    PPTTPPTT

Is #a allowed; or is #b required?

------

PS.... And is the building "circular"? In other words, consider the ends of the 18 windows on one floor (P=plain; T= toned):

Rich (BB code):
(a)                       (b)
TTPP...10windows...PPTT    TTPP...8windows...PPTTPP

Is #a allowed; or is #b required because the 2 windows on the left after (considered) adjacent to the 2 windows on the right.

1. Well, it would be great to find a time machine to participate in class assignments again :)
2. Sorry for making the problem statement unclear:
- Building is not circular
- There is only one floor with 18 windows, just to simplify
"Must the 4 toned windows appear as 2 pairs (surrounded by 2 or more plain windows)?"
No, they must appear as single windows. And not necessarily surrounded, since a toned window may also be the first/last.
"Is the following permitted, for example: TPTPTPT...11plainWindows.... ?"
No, there is just one plain window between the toned. Should be a minimum of 2, like: TPPTPPT...10plainWindows...T

Here is the number of possible combinations:
1605650136722.png

But I have no idea how to subtract the ones which don't match the criteria to have at least 2 plain windows until the next toned.

Arthur

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enero1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back