October Challenge Discussion - Best Diversion

Juan

I get comments to MOB but its not there yet - or nat tha i can find, this board hgas been poor today blank sections of pages and posts with bit missing so excuse if ive missed it!

And the send to is of cause email not ULR
Jack

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi,

Nico Sterk has a demonstration of the Towers of Hanoi puzzle on his website.

http://members.lycos.nl/excelsoftware/Default.htm

The puzzle starts out with disks on one of three pegs. The idea is to move all the disks, one at a time, to another peg and have them in the same order. The rule is that you cannot place a larger disk (higher number in the workbook) on top of a smaller one.

I think this problem type is found in many challenges of computer science -- the optimum way to solve the puzzle.

Maybe not quite the diversion the challenge expects, but the code is pretty amazing.

I think you need Excel XP for this file, as Nico declares an enum class for the "pegs" in the code.

Mark, you're slow :biggrin: ... look what Bill said here:

Send a copy of your game to challenge@MrExcel.com and I will post it in a download section of the site so that others may try it out. The sub-challenge is to whoever amasses the highest score in the game which is chosen as the best diversion

http://www.mrexcel.com/challenge.shtml

You assume that I look at other parts of mrexcel.com. :)

(I just stick to the MVP forum and the Lounge, and sometimes that section where people post questions about spreadsheets)

I made two games for the October Challenge

The first is like the Rubic cube but not 3D, just 2D, the game is like the bonus stage in an old coin up game 15 years ago but i cant remember its name.

The second one it looks like Tetris but it is not Tetris ..

It uses the Tetris Tiles. The idea is to put Tiles together to make "floor" with specific dimentions such as 3x5, 3x20, 4x15 ...
Every "floor" is a level in the game, if you solve one level (level 1 is 3x5)then you go to the next level (unless you want to find another solution to win extra points-score) ..and so on ..until you go to the last level, which is 6x15.

The points-score for each level is equal to its dimentions, 3x5=15 points, 4x10=40 points and so on .

The tiles are 12, Every tile has 5 cell²

The Levels which the area of floor is equal to 60 are the most difficult, because you must use all the tiles in a spesific order and "shape" (Every tile have mirrors or rotated shapes relative to its self)

The Levels with score-points 60 have a few solutions (but a least one, i think !!)

If the game won the challenge, as MrExcel said "The sub-challenge is to whoever amasses the highest score ..", you must find all solutions in every board to make the highest score not just to find one solution per level and then go to the next one ...

The first game pass all the test but the tetris one not yet, I will email the games when the testing period is over ..

This message was edited by IOANNIS on 2002-11-03 04:06

3D tic-tac-toe

check out this game I've been making
not finished yet, just wanted to see what people thought of it

click on the link to download

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~white6174/WEB%20PAGE/TICTACTOE.xls">
TICTACTOE</a></p>

We are coming down to the final 2 weeks of the challenge. I have 10 entries in my inbox right now. I've uploaded the screen shots and a zip file of each entry to the original challenge page.

Bill

This message was edited by MrExcel on 2002-11-04 10:22

I haven't played any of the games except the football manager game. That was great. I sat for 8 hours playing it one day. (no no, I mean I sat for just a lunchtime playing it :) )

Your lunchtime is 8 hours long?

And people were throwing fits over my lunch starting at 11:30! :wink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWBA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back