OMG - Excel 2003 - SUMIF Function

rgbbrown

Hi folks.... I apologise if this has already been answered but I've tried copying other user's 'received answers' but to no avail and I've used up 3 and half hours of my life so far trying this out - I hope you can help.

Now I've used this fine, and I get the correct answer from it:
=SUMIF('2011'!S2:S400,"RGB",'2011'!U2:U400)

However I want to add a criteria so that the sum of RGB's sales only appear if those in '2011'!C2:C400 say "LIVE - SOLD". If they don't, I don't want them counted. I've tried all sorts, including below, to no avail:

=SUM(IF('2011'!S2:S400="RGB",IF('2011'!C2:C400="LIVE - SOLD",'2011'!$U$2:$U$400)))

I don't get it! Please help.... thank you millions

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Try

=SUMPRODUCT(--('2011'!S2:S400="RGB"),--('2011'!C2:C400="LIVE - SOLD"),'2011'!U2:U400)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
=SUM(IF('2011'!S2:S400="RGB",IF('2011'!C2:C400="LIVE - SOLD",'2011'!$U$2:$U$400)))

Hello rgbbrown, welcome to MrExcel

The formula you tried should also work.......but unlike with SUMPRODUCT you need to confirm that formula with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER so that curly braces like { and } appear around the formula in the formula bar

Upvote 0
Peter caught me from putting my foot in my mouth. I was going to suggest COUNTIFS but then realized that it wasn't available in XL 03. SumProduct is right approach. Good call Peter.

AMAS

Upvote 0
Rarrh! You're all amazing - and quick!!

I THINK it's worked!!! I had to do that CTRL + Shift + Enter thing. I tried the Sum Product and got "#VALUE!" whatever that is!

Hmm.... I've just thought... I need to now add another criteria LOL. I only want it to calculate sum if '2011'!D2:D400 says "CL". I have either CL (Cross Lead) or CS (Cross Sale) so I'm trying to do a sum for each, separately on the last page see. How would I nest a FURTHER criteria?

Upvote 0
There was a typo in my original SUMPRODUCT formula. Try

=SUMPRODUCT(--('2011'!S2:S400="RGB"),--('2011'!C2:C400="LIVE - SOLD"),--('2011'!D2:D400="CL"),'2011'!U2:U400)

Upvote 0
I feel like I am in Jeopardy (can't hit the buzzer in time to submit my response :) ).

Another way is array formula using mulitple IF and SUM like you first proposed:

=SUM(IF('2011'!S2:S400="RGB",IF('2011'!C2:C400="LIVE - SOLD",IF('2011'!D2:D400="CL",'2011'!$U$2:$U$400))))

entered as Ctrl + Shift + Enter (CSE) not just Enter

Personally, I like using SumProduct instead but its all good.

AMAS

Upvote 0
VoG that's amazing! That works too, and with the CL/CS thing!!!!

Have to say, I'm more of an Apple freak but Microsoft got it spot on with Excel. Best thing they ever made (and probably will ever make!)

Thanks again guys.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greggy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back