Optimal way to store dynamic data source (forecast model) AND connect to separate data source (inventory model) w/o copying & lasting?

mikeman1489

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. MacOS
Context: I built a Forecast model in Excel that gets updated weekly. Currently I am saving off monthly snapshots as separate worksheets within the Forecast workbook, to archive. Throughout the week, as I make changes to the forecast I copy the forecasts line by line (~25 SKUs) into a separate Inventory Planning Model Excel file, which in turn updates the SKUs' Weeks of Supply, Purchase Orders needed, etc.

Problem/Questions: It's an inefficient process that involves a lot of copying & pasting between two large files. I've ran into problems where I forgot to copy over some SKU forecasts, and where lack of regular forecast archiving makes it difficult to trace the root of an inventory issue. I would like the Forecast file to remain separate from the inventory model, while also being connected to it w/minimal manipulation needed.

1) I've attempted to create a table in the forecast file, and thought of trying to use the table in the inventory plan to pull in the forecast automatically, but not sure if that's the best way to pull in the updated forecast data? Table, pivot table, other? One of the confusing parts of creating the table was that it wasn't clear whether I needed to set up the data with a SUMIF, etc or if it should automatically do this for me.

2) What are good solutions for archiving data in Excel? Database? Just saving off different versions of the file? I want to save the forecasts in a regular cadence.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wcbyers

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back