Partial Words Lookup and Replace

dwgnome

Looking for a better way to substitute correct words for incomplete spellings in a list. The following works, but if a word is not exactly like I have in the lookup, the replacement fails. In the next column over from C34 I have:

Code:
=CHOOSE(MATCH(C34,{"RESIN-","STRIPP","SEALAN","CLEANE","SOLVEN","ALCOHO","COMPOU","CATALY","ADHESI"},0),"RESIN","STRIPPER","SEALANT","CLEANER","SOLVENT","ALCOHOL","COMPOUND","CATALYST","ADHESIVE")

This fails when the word in C34 is RES or RESI, STR or STRIP.

I tried the following formula in D34 but just get #N/A:

Code:
=INDEX(WordList,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(SEARCH(WordList,"*"&C34&"*")),0))

Where WordList is a list of the correct spelled words. Also, if it is possible if there are other words in the column that is not in the WordList, then I want those words to pass through unchanged. I think I'm on the right track but can't quite get the results. Please help.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
oops

Hadn't seen this
Where WordList is a list of the correct spelled words. Also, if it is possible if there are other words in the column that is not in the WordList, then I want those words to pass through unchanged

Try (Excel 2007 or higher)
=IFERROR(INDEX(WordList,MATCH("*"&C34&"*",WordList,0)),C34)

M.

Upvote 0
Marcelo,

Thanks for your solution. It worked. I use Excel 2003, so I just used the IF(ISERROR(formula),C34,formula) construct. The only problem I have is that RESIN- is so similar to the word RESIN in the WordList, but because of the extra character at the end it does change to RESIN. I could work around that by looking only at the first 3 characters to do the match. I tried the following but it doesn't work:

Code:
=INDEX(WordList,MATCH(LEFT("*"&C34&"*",3),WordList,0))

It just gives #N/A.

Would like to see if my idea would work but need help in refining the formula.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi,

You can use SUBSTITUTE(C34,"-","")

Also i would like to suggest a different construct for Excel 2003 instead of
IF(ISERROR(formula),C34,formula)
that, i think, is more efficient.

Try this
=LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),CHOOSE({1;2},C34,INDEX(Wordlist,MATCH("*"&SUBSTITUTE(C34,"-","")&"*",Wordlist,0))))

M.

Upvote 0
M,

Many thanks! Your solution is perfect and elegant. :)

I too do not like the ISERROR approach, I have seen and used the CHOOSE function before and I like it.

I added the TRIM function to the SUBSTITUTE portion to make it a bit more robust to allow spaces before and after the "-", or if there are spaces in front of the word.

Code:
=LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),CHOOSE({1;2},C35,INDEX(WordList,MATCH("*"&TRIM(SUBSTITUTE(C35,"-",""))&"*",WordList,0))))

Not sure how I can substitute/replace more than one symbol for instance if the original word had -RES+, instead of RESIN, the result is -RES+

Thank you again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aby2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back