Password verification linked to conditional macro

Andre_1

I am creating a spreadsheet containing sensitive financial reports that I want to selectively present only to those users who are authorised to view specific reports. I created a "Welcome" page which has a drop down list of internal users to select from. Once the name has been selected (cell H17) that user then supplies their unique password (cell H19).

My challenge (I am not a VB programmer) is twofold:

1) verifying that the password supplied is correct - that part is easy enough using the following conditional statement:

=IFERROR(IF(H19=VLOOKUP(H17,formula!I3:J56,2,0),"True","False"),"")

But what I am struggling with is how to then, if the value returned is "True" (i.e. password matches), display the macro button that is assigned to a macro which displays a report tab that is currently hidden from view.

After I recorded the macro, I got the following basic code to help display the report tab:

Sub display()
'
' display Macro
'

'
Sheets("formula").Select
Sheets("Report Generator").Visible = True
End Sub

The thing is I don't want the user to see this macro button to be able to unhide that report tab, unless and until the password verification has taken place. So my questions is: how can I make the macro button appear only once password verification takes place?

2) There are different types of reports (different report tabs) that I want different users to view, depending on their level of authorisation. How can I achieve this, in the above scenario? Let's say there are a total of 3 different reporting levels; the basic level grants the user access to the report tab from 1) above only. Levels 2 and 3 will get access to this report tab plus several other tabs as well. How can I make the unhiding of tabs conditional/dependent upon which user has verified their password?

Thank you so much in advance for your help, I really appreciate it.

Andre

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgharbawi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back