Pivot Chart of Counts - no entry when count = 0

JohnKauffman

I want to show from a set of values that for some values there is a high count and for others a count of zero (result in both tabular and chart form).

I make a pivot table with my range of values drug to both the Row Labels and the Values (as Count) and it works for for values where the count >1 but the values where the count = 0 there are no entries (rows) in the pivot table.

When converted to a pivot graph the graphical message is lost that some counts are zero because they have no blank/zero height columns. Only by inspecting the x axis labels can the user see that some x axis entries are missing.

I think somehow Excel thinks the x axis holds strings and so it does not arrange them as if along a number line which would include values with count=0.

How to get a Pivot table of counts to include an entry for every value, even if the count of the value is zero?

Example: Values 1-20 have a high count, 21-30 counts of zero, values of 31-50 high counts. I want a graph with x axis ticks at every value from 1 to 50. In the 1-20 range will be columns, no columns 21-20 and columns again in 31-50. That will clearly show there are zero counts for the middle values of 21-30.

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
I'm having a similar problem where I have data points from 1-99, but not all are represented. I want to overlay on a bell curve, but can't figure out how to leave space for the empty sets.
Any help would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Anyone know a solution to this one? Does it have something to do with the format of the data? I think that was a problem once with dates.

Upvote 0
Anyone know a solution to this one? Does it have something to do with the format of the data? I think that was a problem once with dates.

I got around mine by creating a new column with all numbers from 1-99 and doing a countif function in the next column and making a pivot chart based on that.

You might try the same thing by defining your breakpoints and using =COUNTIFS(range,"<="cell to the left,range,">"cell up and to the left)

Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sphere2215

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back