Pivot Table field not in data source

egewitz94

I have a Pivot Table which was created by another user (no longer contactable), as well as the source data, located in a single workbook. The source data is an Excel Table. The Pivot Table contains two extra fields that are not in the source Table. The two fields appear to be predefined groupings of a field that exists in the Table (i.e. when source = 1 or 2 or 3 or 4, new field # 1 = A, etc...). The Pivot Table then is able to show summarized values by the grouping.

When I go to the Analyze tab --> Fields, Items, & Sets --> Calculated Field or Calculated Item, I don't see any specific calculations for these fields. I was thinking that it could have had something to do with the Excel Table being the source, but I can't find anything in the table to suggest an additional grouping.

Any help on figuring out where these additional fields in the Pivot Table are coming from, and how they are being set, would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
it has to be a calculated field

make a new workbook put in some simple data, make a pivot table, add a calculated field

close, reopen, highlight pivot, use pivot wizard, look for your calculated field

Upvote 0
it has to be a calculated field

make a new workbook put in some simple data, make a pivot table, add a calculated field

close, reopen, highlight pivot, use pivot wizard, look for your calculated field

Thank you oldbrewer.

Is there a way for me to tell how the field is being calculated? Is there a way to see the formula?

Upvote 0
that is what I am suggesting you do - make a basic pivot, add a calculated field, then modify the calculated field

Upvote 0
Thank you oldbrewer.

Is there a way for me to tell how the field is being calculated? Is there a way to see the formula?

Also suggesting that this is not a calculated field is that when I go to Analyze --> Fields, Items & Sets --> List Formulas, nothing is listed under Calculated Field or Calculated Item.

Upvote 0
that is what I am suggesting you do - make a basic pivot, add a calculated field, then modify the calculated field

Sorry - to be clear - I'm trying to figure out how this specific field is being calculated. Not how to add calculated fields and then modify them.

Upvote 0
I have a Pivot Table which was created by another user (no longer contactable), as well as the source data, located in a single workbook. The source data is an Excel Table. The Pivot Table contains two extra fields that are not in the source Table. The two fields appear to be predefined groupings of a field that exists in the Table (i.e. when source = 1 or 2 or 3 or 4, new field # 1 = A, etc...). The Pivot Table then is able to show summarized values by the grouping.

When I go to the Analyze tab --> Fields, Items, & Sets --> Calculated Field or Calculated Item, I don't see any specific calculations for these fields. I was thinking that it could have had something to do with the Excel Table being the source, but I can't find anything in the table to suggest an additional grouping.

Any help on figuring out where these additional fields in the Pivot Table are coming from, and how they are being set, would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

hmm.. trying to guess...
Try this
Select one the extra fields and go to
Home > Conditional Formatting > Manage Rules

Do you see anything there? Some rule?

M.

Upvote 0
hmm.. trying to guess...
Try this
Select one the extra fields and go to
Home > Conditional Formatting > Manage Rules

Do you see anything there? Some rule?

M.

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, no conditional formatting in the pivot table.

Any other ideas?

Upvote 0
...The two fields appear to be predefined groupings of a field that exists in the Table (i.e. when source = 1 or 2 or 3 or 4, new field # 1 = A, etc...). The Pivot Table then is able to show summarized values by the grouping.

If you right click on that field in the Pivot Table, can you choose "Ungroup"?

Upvote 0
If you right click on that field in the Pivot Table, can you choose "Ungroup"?

Yes! If I 'ungroup' the field, it opens up multiple cells. Does this imply that the creator went in and manually 'grouped' each set of values and then renamed the 'group' to the desired value?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maniac189

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back