Please...Need help running macro in another workbook.

pedie

my current code which does not work:

Code:
Sub Test1()
Dim wb As Workbook, x As String
For Each wb In Workbooks
If wb.Name <> ThisWorkbook.Name Then x = wb.Name
Next wb
MsgBox "The other open workbook is named " & x & "Book2" & vbCrLf & _
"Click OK to activate it."
Workbooks(x).Activate
Cells.Activate
Range("A1").Value = "Hello!"
Range("A3").Select
Range("A3").Formula = "=A1"
Workbooks(x).AcceptAllChanges
Workbooks(x).Save
Workbooks(x).Close
End Sub

Please advice how it works!
Pedies

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Code:
Sub Test2()
    Dim wb As Workbook, MyFile As String

MyFile = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\Book2.xls"
    wb.Unprotect Password:="123"
    On Error Resume Next
        Set wb = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=MyFile)
    On Error GoTo 0

If wb Is Nothing Then MsgBox "Couldn't locate " & MyFile: Exit Sub

With wb
        '.Activate
        '.Cells.Activate
        With ActiveSheet
            .Range("A1").Value = "hello!"
            .Range("A3").Formula = "=A1"
        End With
        .Save
        .Close
    End With

This is how i entered the code, and i got an error msg,
which states
Code:
Run-time error '91':
Object variable or With block variable not set

Upvote 0
Please any one...any idea to define something so that the password will be entered automatically and that the macro might run???

Upvote 0
Hello Pedie

You've put the line to unprotect the sheet, that AlphaFrog supplied in the wrong place see below.

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Test2()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> wb <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Workbook, MyFile <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <br>    MyFile = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\Book2.xls"<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'wb.Unprotect Password:="123"**You try to use wb before you set it**</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Resume</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> wb = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=MyFile) <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'**You set wb to equal your</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'workbook, IE "Book2.xls" becomes the activeworkbook wb equals thisworkbook**</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'now that you have set the variable you can use it almost anywhere**</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">GoTo</SPAN> 0<br><br>    <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> wb <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> MsgBox "Couldn't locate " & MyFile: Exit Sub<br>   <br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> wb<br>        .Unprotect Password:="123" <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'**this is the best place to use it**</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'.Activate</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'.Cells.Activate</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> ActiveSheet<br>            .Range("A1").Value = "hello!"<br>            .Range("A3").Formula = "=A1"<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>        .Save<br>        .Close<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Upvote 0
You can specify the password using the Password argument of the workbooks Open method.

PS You could also take a little longer between bumps, and explain what you actually want to to right at the beginning.:)

I was going to post on this last night but my network went down, but I was also couldn't quite relate the thread title to the thread content.

At first I thought you wanted to run code that was in another workbook, not use code to open a workbook etc.

By the way it might be an idea to add a dot qualifier . in front of ActiveSheet just to make sure you are working with the right worksheet.

Upvote 0
Secial thanks to Meldoc, Alplha frog, Norie...& everyone who offered ideas and help by giving solid answers....
I really appriaciate it.

Pedie.

Upvote 0
This is in reference to MELDOC's code.

I did exactly what is intructed here to do...but it is still probing for password...when I click on run the code, the msgbox for pasword comes up so I entered the password manually & it completed the process of the code. Is that what it is suppose to do, or is there a way I can make the password be auto entered???

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blaineSpartan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back