• AMD Sempron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Intel Celeron

• Help me Mommy, I'm scared...

• Total voters
Hi HotPepper

I am undecided on an AMD X2 3800 and a Pentium D 920 since they both produce very similarly priced systems. I have been checking out reviews on the web, and if it was a choice between an 820 and a 3800 X2 then it would be no problem - the X2 would win hands down. But the new Presler 9 series from Intel are running AMD very close. Certainly, if I was at all interested in gaming (I'm not) then the AMD would still win hands down. My friend who used to work for Microsoft tells me I'm a fool to even contemplate an Intel over AMD (he loves AMD). I think in the end, whichever way I go, the system is going to be soooooo much better than what I'm currently using that it won't really make any difference whether it is AMD/Intel.

XLGibbs

That's useful advice - I will make sure whatever motherboard I get can support RAID.

Thanks Guys

Richard

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Just to prove I change my mind more often than a leopard changes its spots, I have ended up copying HotPepper with an AMD X2 3800 (and 2Gb of RAM).

Of course, I have to actually build the ****** yet...

I have built all of my computers and have used most of the CPU's, I have found that Intel is less stable and crashes more than AMD, but that being said AMD has compatibility issues. AMD just does not work with all devices or combinations of devices/cards. Intel works with more devices and combinations of devices/cards and whereas AMD just does not work in these situations and Intel works, but may crash some time down the line.

I have been looking into the Dual Core types, but have no direct experience as of yet. Memory does help, but it is not a miracle worker, one or two Gb is all we need for the time being. 64 bit, is the next thing, but is it really here now, how many 64 bit programs do we have.

One word of advice, my current main computer was built using the most expensive, best rated "state of the art" components [I though it was time I rewarded myself and had at least one top-shelf PC], each component/board sounded great on paper and in reviews, but in reality "State-of-the-art" has compatability issues, many things could not work well with each other. So my most expensive, most state of the art computer is not my best [I have actually had to disable some functions, that caused me to buy that component in the first place.]!

Finally got my computer up and working after some painful sessions whereby I discovered

1. My motherboard was a dud, and hence was replaced

2. My memory was also dud, and therefore had to be replaced.

From now on, I will pay others (eg Dell) to suffer the trouble of putting the components together.

It has been a useful learning experience.

Richard

I too have gone through the mill on a few.
Biggest problem, using too new devices, Top-shelf and state-of-the-art that reviews call the best, that do not work with other devices. Advice wait a until the compatability issues get worked out!

Sorry for the bad board and memmory, both are getting less common now, but still happen!

Mmmmm, roast parsnips. It's always worth popping round to the old girl's for Sunday lunch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayHo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back