Pool match results – counting player wins and losses in an array.

youngbobbyf

The pool Match consists of 7 games and the 4th game is always a doubles game. Teams must have at least 6 players so 2 players could play a doubles game as well as their singles game.
Please refer to the spreadsheet link. There are two tables, one for fixture and results details and the other for individual player performance. Player initials and game result is entered manually into the top table but there are formulae in the player performance table but I am struggling to create a formula to collate player wins and losses. I haven’t found anything similar online.
Player Jon Doe(“JD”) has 5 wins and 4 losses from 9 games. Player Rob McDuck has 4 wins and 3 losses from 7 games. I’ve entered these manually as an example of what I want it to do and I am trying to create a formula that will locate all player initials in the results table then test/count the cell to the right to see if it’s a “W” for a win or “L” for a loss. Can anyone help..?

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AijXUgi8s_dXjEGhi2UayCvwZKyP

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Isn't the solution here to just keep the canonical order of the initials, so that you have every match of JD (e.g.) in a row 4? Afterwards your question would have been easy and I don't see any shortcomings

Upvote 0
That's exactly what I had in the spreadsheet for last season. Much easier with it being linear and if I can't find a solution for this I'll have to go back to it. I don't know for sure what I'm asking is possible but if there is a solution out there I hope someone will provide it. I thought something like =countif(offset((match("JD",A$4:P$11,0)),0,1,1,1),"W") would do it, but nope.

Upvote 0
I seemed to have half solved it using this formula =COUNTIFS(B$4:P$11,"RM",OFFSET(B$4:P$11,0,1),"W"). The down side is that game 4 is a doubles game so I've got the two players initials in rows 7 and 8 with a merged cell to the right. The formula works fine for players in row 7 but not for the player in row 8. Can anyone suggest a solution for row 8 players...? I could unmerge the cells but then the match results would be wrong....

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AijXUgi8s_dXjEGhi2UayCvwZKyP

Upvote 0
I solved it in the end by using this formula =COUNTIFS(C$4:AQ$11,A19,OFFSET(C$4:AQ$11,0,1),"W")+COUNTIFS(C$8:Q$8,A19,OFFSET(C$8:Q$8,-1,1),"W") where A19 points to a cell with the player initials in it. That formaulk obviously counts "W"ins. I simply replaced the "W" for "L" to count "L"osses.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greggy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back