PowerPivot DAX Conditional IF automation or reference

MikeGkp

Hi, I would like to create a column in the powerpivot data table that will change upon updating a master date or criteria.

I have a functioning If statement that works well: =IF([year]=2010,[count],0)

Which provides the result that I need when I hard code the number 2010 into the if statement as shown above. However, I want to be able to change the '2010' portion of the if statement by changing a reference field in a table or excel tab within the workbook. The variable that will replace '2010' could be a year, month, date, or other criteria.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Mike

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
You are going about this the wrong way (a very common approach for Excel users). You need a measure, not a column.
Make sure you have a calendar table
Assuming [count] is a measure (and not a column) then Create another measure
=calculate([count], allselected(calendar[year]))
put the measure in a pivot table and add slicers for year, month etc

If count is a column, then you need a formula instead, depending on your data.
Eg one of these instead

=calculate(sum(myTable[count]), allselected(calendar[year]))
=calculate(count([count]), allselected(calendar[year]))

my book is specifically designed to help Excel users get started and I am sure it will help you
Learn to Write DAX - the book for all Excel users

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you Matt, I should receive your book today from Amazon. Does your book cover the best way to pass the slicer selection back to the calculated measure so that the pivot table reflects the summation of the count? Count is a column with numeric values. Mike

Upvote 0
I'm not 100% sure if I understand the question. But my book definitely covers initial filter context in detail. Initial filter context is the natural filtering created by the pivot table and the slicers. Here is a small extract

Pivot tables, by their very nature, "filter" data. The filtering applied to a pivot table is called the initial filter
context—initial because it is possible to change the filter context coming from a pivot table by using the
CALCULATE() function. (This is covered in Chapter 8.) So the initial filter context is the standard filtering
coming from a pivot table before any possible modifications from DAX formulas using CALCULATE().
The initial filter context comes from four areas of a pivot table:
• Rows
• Columns
• Filters
• Slicers

Once you understand what the pivot table does, you then learn how to use CALCULATE to modify this natural behaviour.

If you don't get the answers you need from the book, ask me a question at powerpivotforum.com.au (as recommended in the book) and I will help you.

If you like the book, I would appreciate a review on Amazon.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quiet_Nectarine_

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back