Problem with Excel Binary format (XLSB) in Excel 2013

exl

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Facing problem with XLSB format when working with Excel 2013 and sharing it with others. The original file was created in Excel 2007. The file works normally with Excel 2013, but when I share it with other Excel 2007 users, it gives the following errors:

Qm0BKZ.png

When the user recovers the document, the following message appears:

dnZfcR.png

The recovered document loses all formatting and alignments, but no loss of data. Also, there were no new features of Excel 2013 added to the particular document.

There is a workaround solution which I discovered, when I share the document in XLSX format (which bloats the file size and increases its size by 150%) and share it with other Excel 2007 users, it works normally with all features intact. Thereafter, if the file is saved in XLSB format from Excel 2007, it works perfectly in other machines.

Is there some inherent bug in Excel 2013 with respect to XLSB files. I don't want to lose working in XLSB files. Any help would be appreciated

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
This file opens without a problem in my Excel 2013.

Dear Jan, I am telling you there is no problem when you open with Excel 2013, but when you open with Excel 2007, that is when you get the error.

Upvote 0
This file opens without a problem in my Excel 2013.

Dear Jan,

The following things are at play here:

1. When the file is created in Excel 2007 it works without any glitch in both versions of Excel (2007 & 2013)

2. When the file is created in Excel 2013, it works well with Excel 2013 but not in Excel 2007 (this is the problem I am facing)

3. When the file is created in Excel 2007, then it is accessed by Excel 2013, then when it sent back to Excel 2007 again, the problem occurs (this also I am facing)

Note: The file which I have uploaded, was originally created with Excel 2007. I deleted all the data etc using Excel 2013 and saved and uploaded it. (Scenario 3)

To summarise it, the problem is faced when opening the workbook in Excel 2007

Upvote 0
It opens fine on my Excel 2007 (12.0.6665.5003) SP3 (Windows XP virtual machine)

Could this be an Early binding vs Late Binding issue with the Object Library? JK, if you have both on your testing machine, you wouldn't see the errors that others might see when all they have is the older version.

If this is the issue, this link seems like it might solve your issue (I'm having the same one and going to give this a shot)...
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...osoft-outlook-15-0-object-library-tablet.html

Very interested in the "Professional" answer...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back