'Project is unviewable' error

SaraWitch

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello peeps,

I have a shared workbook containing various (complex!) formulas and macros.

A small number of users are getting the pop up error, 'Project is unviewable'. If they click okay, the book closes. After a quick Google, 'old' macros are being cited as the problem, but all my macros were created in Office 365 (at the time of the new spreadsheet).

Any ideas why this is happening for some users and not others?

Ta muchly!

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
You can't edit/view macros in a shared workbook. You have unshare, edit, then re-shared.

Upvote 0
Thank you, Jeff.

Yes, I know that you can't edit/view macros in a shared workbook, and I don't want people to - I just want them to update the data, which they have been doing successfully until recently where a couple of users are getting the aforementioned error. This has never happened before and I can't find a way of resolving it, hence my post for any advice...

Upvote 0
What is the user doing to get that message? In my experience the only way you get that is to attempt to edit the VBA, hence my response.

Are you asking for a way to prevent the user from attempting to see the VBA?

Upvote 0
This is the strange thing, Jeff - the user is just opening the workbook and this message appears preventing them from going any further (they haven't even fully opened the document to even try and view the VBA (which I don't want them to and understand that you can't in a shared workbook)).

I have tried unsharing and resharing the document, I have cleared old user entries in the shared list, I have checked macros and VBAs, but can't work out why this has suddenly started for some users but not others...:unsure:

So my query is, why is this message appearing for some users who are only attempting to open the document (they are not doing anything other than opening the document to get this message, which prevents them from doing so, so they can't even access the document to edit data as they normally do)?

Upvote 0
Is there a Private Sub Workbook_Open() in the ThisWorkbook module? If so, what is the code?

Upvote 0
No, but I have a Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose:

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
If MsgBox ("Have you cleared all filters?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo) = vbNo Then
Cancel = True
End If
End Sub

And then there's a couple of different Private Sub Worksheet codes on different sheets.

I really can't get my head around it as it's been working fine for months until just recently! :unsure:

Upvote 0
Well I have to say that's a head-scratcher. I haven't seen this just from opening the file.

Upvote 0
Me neither! I appreciate your time, thank you, Jeff.

If anyone else out there has come across this and has found a solution, I'd be pleased to hear from you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quiet_Nectarine_

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back