Protected therefore is read-only.

russer

Hi, I've been making some changes to a workbook for a few days and I have just found that something I've done has caused the input page to be protected in some way.

It's a page made up primarily o drop-down lists, and when I try to change a cell I get a message "this cell or sheet is protected and is therefore read-only."

I don't have the option to unprotect under tools and I've unlocked all cells. Not sure where or how its protected or whether it's the sheet or cells.

The last thing I tried doing was to copy and paste the sheet onto a new sheet. ???

Thanks for your help.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
Welcome to MrExcel.

In Excel 2003 it's Tools|Protection|Unprotect Sheet. If you have been able to unlock all cells the worksheet isn't protected.

Upvote 0
I am using 2003, but I've checked the protection several times but only shows the option to protect; I've even tried protecting and then unprotecting it. ??

Upvote 0
Genius! I had a sheet that was hidden. I didn't think that I had protected it but it was.

Thanks,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adunn_23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back