Query table before refresh event not calling

schallabrak

I have set up a query from a pervasive sql database and would like to write some code that should execute before the query table is refreshed.
I have put the following code in the sheet1 object where the table is located. This is just to see if I can get the before refresh event to work:
Private Sub querytable_beforerefresh(Cancel As Boolean)
MsgBox ("brace for update")
End Sub

Needless to say, When I refresh the query table I don't receive a msgbox, nor do I get a debug error.
Is there something else I need to do to use the beforerefresh event?

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Thanks for the Link Brian.

However, even when following that website step by step I don't get any reaction when clicking refresh on the table. That link is actually the place where I discovered the existence of he beforerefresh event in the fist place, and I have been trying to get it to work every since.

Upvote 0
My first attempt was with the code from the link. This was put into a class module. On my second attempt I simplified it into the above msgbox version just to play around with it. I have placed this code in thisworksheet, sheet2, a module, and a class module but all actions give me similar results

Upvote 0
You do not have any code in what you posted that either declares querytable as a WithEvents variable, or assigns your querytable object to it. Do you have any such code? If not, which version of Excel is it?

Upvote 0
You would need something like:
Code:
Private WithEvents qt as Excel.Querytable
Private Sub qt_beforerefresh(Cancel As Boolean)
End Sub
Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
set qt = me.listobjects(1).Querytable
End Sub

then switch worksheets, switch back, and refresh your query. (this assumes you have more than one sheet and only one query on the sheet in question)

Upvote 0
Hi RoryA!

Thank you so much :)
I hope you see this message considering the original post was 2013!
You wouldn't believe how long I've been searching the internet trying to figure out how to do what your code above does.

Since 10am this morning (it's now almost 17:30!) combing the internets and posting on forums trying to understand beforerefresh and afterrefresh events, class modules and objects.... It's all over my head.

But I have questions... is it possible to also add en afterrefresh event to the same bit of code. Something like:

VBA Code:
Private WithEvents qt as Excel.Querytable
Private Sub qt_beforerefresh(Cancel As Boolean)
End Sub
Private Sub qt_afterrefresh(Cancel As Boolean)
MsgBox ("huzzah updated!")
End Sub
Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
set qt = me.listobjects(1).Querytable
End Sub

Also... (I know, I ask for too much), is there any way to make sure the code always fires, even if you don't switch worksheets first. If it was only for me I would be fine remembering to do that. But I'm building a tool for a team, and I don't think we can rely on them always switching tabs first.

All the best
Vicky

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back