Rankings Dynamic Sorting

PostTIT

Board Regular
So I've looked literally everywhere - by which I mean on the first page of Google and no further.

I have sheet 1 that does scores and points and more scores for each team (column C5:C54). These scores lead to a total score in column N5:N54. Thus Column O5:O54 shows the ranking by the RANK function (that's the easy bit that I've got sorted).

I then want to have the rankings sheet as a separate sheet to display them nicely formatted to the competitors. So I currently have a table set up on sheeet 2 that uses INDEX and MATCH to find the corresponding rank number from sheet 2 column B2:B51 and display the name beside.

However my issue is that there could easily be duplicates of each rank (sheet 1 displays multiple of the same rank sometimes no bother) and the INDEX and MATCH does not allow for this and so I am getting a return of #N/A in sheet 2 sometimes.

Is this requiring some sort of SORT function to first of all take the rankings as they are with the duplicates that may occur, as opposed to having sheet 1 having a fixed rankings list 1:50? Ideally having duplicates take the form of: 1, 2, 3, 3, 5, 5, 7, etc...

Other sources seem to not be doing exactly as I'm wanting.

Any help would be great, thanks.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
So I've looked literally everywhere - by which I mean on the first page of Google and no further.
:LOL:

See if you can adapt this:

A2: =SMALL(D$2:D$9,ROWS(2:$2))
B2: {=INDEX(E$2:E$9,SMALL(IF(D$2:D$9=A2,ROW(D$2:D$9)-ROW(D$1)),COUNTIF($A$2:A2,A2)))} (Array-entered)

Excel 2010
ABCDE
1OutputTable
21Mary1Mary
32Joe3Jane
43Jane2Joe
53Jill5Bob
65Bob3Jill
75Sam5Sam
85Nick8Mike
98Mike5Nick
Sheet1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Worked perfectly, thank you very much. Maybe next time I'll search google page 2 as well.

I had to extend the formula to say:
B2: {=INDEX(E$2:E$9,SMALL(IF(D$2:D$9=A2,ROW(D$2:D$9)-ROW(D$1)+1),COUNTIF($A$2:A2,A2)))} (Array-entered)

Then it worked. Some Excel magic wasn't matching up correctly before but now it is - so Excel-Gandalf is now happy.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aby2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back