Really basic power query for excel 365 questions regarding import/pivot table/data model

Mr_Phil

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hi, I am trying to learn power query. Right now I am at the "train with pain" stage. I am able to import three sheets from three external workbooks and modify them so they create three tables in excel. I resisted the urge to just do xlookups to create helpers so I could make pivot tables because easy doesn't teach. But I might have misunderstood any of the myriad of youtubes and google articles.

Each table has employee names formatted as Lname comma space firstname - One table is basic employee data showing who they are, where they work, and who they work for.
One table has the same names but with a different column header. It shows what they were issued, when, what office, and what person. I change the date to drop the time so it is just a calendar day. If I were doing Access, dBaseIII, or Approach this would be the "many" table. It is related to the employee table with that being the "one" as in one-to-many.

I created a relationship but it doesn't appear to be linking as I can't figure out how to pivot table using aspects of both tbales. So, another youtube later and I got power pivot going and added to the data model but I now see four tables when trying to make a pivot instead of two. I picked two at random and got a pivot. But, I cannot group the columns (dates) by days. Usually we do 7 or 10 day blocks on a 70 day dataset. The option to group by days is there but the start/end and value of how many isn't functional. I checked the date format and it is dd/mm/yyyy and the time aspect was removed by the query during the transform. There are no blanks or text in the source column that I can tell.

I don't expect answers that provide a finished result. I am looking for insights into the above that I can used to key in on tutorials or videos that will help me understand what I obviously didn't when just diving into it. Thank you very much for looking and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
My advice; take a break, step back and try to understand what you need, then work out how to do it. Read my article here. The Optimal Shape for Power BI Data

if you are using PQ for Excel, you can easily load the data to Power Pivot and then use the model structure described in the link.
it sounds to my like you need 2 dim tables (employee and calendar) and 1 fact table (items issued)

Upvote 0
Solution
My advice; take a break, step back and try to understand what you need, then work out how to do it. Read my article here. The Optimal Shape for Power BI Data

if you are using PQ for Excel, you can easily load the data to Power Pivot and then use the model structure described in the link.
it sounds to my like you need 2 dim tables (employee and calendar) and 1 fact table (items issued)
Thanks Matt. I'm finishing up an inspection of this location so will be taking that break after a week on the road. I will for sure read the article. I ignored a lot of Power BI stuff because I thought it was a sepaarate thing as in "not excel" and my company is excel centric. I tried introducing access ages ago and got the deer-in-the -lights look LOL. I know exactly how to make what I want as I am a fair hand at traditional excel and I can do a bit of sql and vba. Thought I'd learn PQ as I turn 60. They say that learning new and harder things makes you young. I might grow hair again. Thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0
This is an excellent video to start learning Power Query - Power Query and M Code to Import &Transform Data. It's almost 2 hours long, but has a timeline with 32 points, and sample files with both starting and ending samples. That channel also has complete college level courses on Excel and Power BI and working with Data. And, BTW, Power Query is well worth the time to learn!

Upvote 0
This is an excellent video to start learning Power Query - Power Query and M Code to Import &Transform Data. It's almost 2 hours long, but has a timeline with 32 points, and sample files with both starting and ending samples. That channel also has complete college level courses on Excel and Power BI and working with Data. And, BTW, Power Query is well worth the time to learn!
Thanks for the link. I appreicate it a lot.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SCleaveland

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back