Recognize a pattern, then take an action was solved, now the next step, real magic!

TedX

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Okay, so with the help of some very knowledgeable people I was able to get my previous question, which dealt with dreaded loops, solved, in fact, I got 3 solutions ;) (y)

So now, in the interests of 100% pure laziness and never wanting to hit a keystroke ever again, I bring you all, the next step, which if solved (er, I mean, when solved) will be one step closer to perfection 🥸

If you take a look at the image, and ignore all the arrows, you will see how the active worksheet currently is, on a random day, random racetrack, and displaying races 6 and 7. You may recall, we got every race to display the top three scores and colour them in green and yellow, if three selections existed. All that works perfectly. Now I want to grab the corresponding number (TAB) of the three selected horses and enter them into the area indicated by arrows. So in Race 6, the numbers are 2, 4 & 7 and I wanted them pasted or entered into W2, W3 & W4. Looking down, you will see that Race 7 has three different numbers in 1, 2 & 9. I assume there will be no way around having to solve this other than using a loop. Don't forget, there is a different number of races every day, but everything always starts at cell A6, which is always Race 1. The Horse # always goes into Column W. Now here is the problem, and trust me, only certified magicians need read further 😁

First Issue: Race 1 may not have 3 selections, therefore, the code should move on to the next race and only when it finds 3 selections in a race, then copy and enter those 3 numbers into the position in Column W.
Second Issue: You can only have the first race encountered on the worksheet, entered into column W, then after that race finishes, I would like to click a button that says 'Next Race', then the code having remembered where it was will move to the next race and search for 3 selections (scores), until it finds a race or ends. Okay, if it's just impossible, tell me straight up, I know it's hard but at the heart of it, it's just a copy and paste and some method of keeping track of which race was the last race done before resuming. If you can do this for me, it would be amazing. Seriously, AMAZING!!!!

1672722818812.png

Glad it worked for you.

Do you sit there for a moment and ask, "What does this person really want?"
Yes, because often the wording and/or examples are not entirely clear to somebody who is not familiar with the data or requirement.

.. surely you have never seen an exact issue ..
Correct.

.. would like to hear you say what you are thinking as you actually sit down to help someone.
Not something that is easy to put into a few words/sentences and it varies by the particular question. I guess it mostly comes down to ..
.. it comes with experience after doing this for years and thousands of different issues.
.. and looking at, and learning from, other people's great answers in the forum over the years.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Brilliant answers, thanks Peter. Btw, I created a button, so that each time I click it, it progresses to the next race. I'm just wondering what the code would be for a reset button, to start over if I needed it?

1672793478125.png

Upvote 0
I'm just wondering what the code would be for a reset button, to start over if I needed it?
VBA Code:
Sub Top3_Reset()
  Range("V3,W2:W4,AC2:AD2").ClearContents
End Sub

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Sub Top3_Reset()
  Range("V3,W2:W4,AC2:AD2").ClearContents
End Sub

Yes that's perfect, thanks again Peter. Btw, yesterday I solved my first question by another member, It was probably more luck than any skill, but I did make a promise that I would pay it forward and that was the first step in doing so. Have a great day (y) (y) (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back