Refresh problems when switching between spreadsheets

syrist

I frequenly have two Excel spreadsheets open so I can copy and paste data between them. For some reason, when I alt-tab between the spreadsheets, sometimes a portion of the spreadsheet is pure white... almost as if that part of the spreadsheet hasn't "refreshed" yet. If I minimize it and then maximize it, that white section is gone and I can see the data in it once again.

That white area is only visible within the spreadsheet's boundaries and it looks exactly the same as if I selected half my spreadsheet and formatted it to pure white (cell borders not visible either).

Any ideas? I'm running Office 2003 SP3.

-Pete

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
This happens to me in a few situations
1) when I have a lot of windows open, It happens for other apps as well, not just excel.
2) Excel with a lot of data
3) switching between workbooks on a remote server

Number 1 and 2 are issues with low memory either ram or video memory.

Try this for 1 and 2.
Next time you notice it. Write down exactly what sheets your going to and from and how many windows you have open (all apps). Also write down how long your computer has been on.

Then try rebooting and opening just those 2 spreadsheets you were using. Try it again. If it works fine its definitely a memory issue. By writing those things down it could show you a trend.

Try this for 3
If you are using these off a server, try saving a copy locally and repeating. If it doesnt happen then, the server latency is the issue (and maybe memory combined).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davelevnt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back