YasserKhalil

Hello

I have the following code that I use to replace some text with a nother

Code:
Sub Replacement()
    Dim LastRow As Long
    LastRow = Sheets("Conditions").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
      For x = 1 To LastRow
          Cells.Replace What:=Sheets("Conditions").Range("A" & x), Replacement:=Sheets("Conditions").Range("B" & x), _
          Lookat:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=True, SearchFormat:= _
          False, ReplaceFormat:=False
      Next x
End Sub

If I want to replace for example (John Smith) with (Axel Smith)... There is no problem
But I found that the text (Johny Smith) is replaced with (Axely Smith) .. This is the problem.>>> I want to keep Johny as it is but replace just John

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Try changing this:

Code:
Lookat:=xlPart
Code:

To this:

Code:
Lookat:=xlWhole
Code:

Upvote 0
You could use the function I posted in my mini-blog article here...

InStrExact
- Find Location Of A Word, As A Word, Not Embedded Within Another Word

to see if the word you want to replace stands alone as a word (not embedded within other text) and if the function returns a number greater than 0 (indicating the position of the stand-alone word) then perform your replacement on that cell (otherwise skipping it).

Upvote 0
You could use the function I posted in my mini-blog article here...

InStrExact
- Find Location Of A Word, As A Word, Not Embedded Within Another Word

to see if the word you want to replace stands alone as a word (not embedded within other text) and if the function returns a number greater than 0 (indicating the position of the stand-alone word) then perform your replacement on that cell (otherwise skipping it).

great function.. But I don't know how to make use of it in the above code
Help me please Mr. Rick Rothstein

Thanks advanced

Upvote 0
great function.. But I don't know how to make use of it in the above code
Add the function from my mini-blog article to your code module and then replace the code you posted with this modification to it...
Code:
SSub Replacement()
    Dim LastRow As Long
      For x = 1 To LastRow
          If InStrExact(1, Sheets("Conditions").Range("B" & x), Sheets("Conditions").Range("A" & x), True) Then
              Cells.Replace What:=Sheets("Conditions").Range("A" & x), _
                            Replacement:=Sheets("Conditions").Range("B" & x), _
                            Lookat:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=True, _
                            SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False
          End If
      Next x
End Sub
Note: I did not test this (don't have your data setup), but it should work if I have correctly interpretted what you are attempting to do.

Upvote 0
I have to say that the data in a sheet called "Data" and the conditions in a sheet called "Conditions" which has two columns A and B.

In Data sheet there is one column which I have to run the code on it to be corrected

Upvote 0
I have the following code that I use to replace some text with a nother

Code:
Sub Replacement()
    Dim LastRow As Long
    LastRow = Sheets("[B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Conditions[/COLOR][/B]").Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
      For x = 1 To LastRow
          Cells.Replace What:=Sheets("[B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Conditions[/COLOR][/B]").Range("A" & x), Replacement:=Sheets("[B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Conditions[/COLOR][/B]").Range("B" & x), _
          Lookat:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=True, SearchFormat:= _
          False, ReplaceFormat:=False
      Next x
End Sub

If I want to replace for example (John Smith) with (Axel Smith)... There is no problem
But I found that the text (Johny Smith) is replaced with (Axely Smith) .. This is the problem.>>> I want to keep Johny as it is but replace just John
I have to say that the data in a sheet called "Data" and the conditions in a sheet called "Conditions" which has two columns A and B.

In Data sheet there is one column which I have to run the code on it to be corrected
I quoted the code from your original message at the top of this response... note the words I highlighted in red... your replacement code never did anything with a sheet named "Data"... I simply duplicated what you had posted when I wrote my code. If I now understand your setup correctly, I think this code should work for you; but remember, without seeing your setup, I can only guess at what it looks like, so my guess may be wrong, so you may have to adjust the sheet name references so the code points to the correct information on the correct sheets (in case I guessed wrong)...
Rich (BB code):
Sub Replacement()
      Dim LastRow As Long
        For x = 1 To LastRow
              If InStrExact(1, Sheets("Data").Range("B" & x), Sheets("Conditions").Range("A" & x), True) Then
                    Cells.Replace What:=Sheets("Data").Range("A" & x), _
                                  Replacement:=Sheets("Conditions").Range("B" & x), _
                                  Lookat:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=True, _
                                  SearchFormat:=False, ReplaceFormat:=False
              End If
        Next x
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back