Return poisition of the smallest with criteria.

eduzs

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I have four values in P Q R and S columns (int numbers).
I need a formula that returns the position (match) of the smallest value, BUT when there's two or more values with this same smallest value??? In this case I want it to return a aleatory position between those smallest equal values.
Without macro will be better.
Examples:
10,20,15,9 returns 4 (position of the smallest).
40,2,30,8 returns 2 (position of the smallest).
3,3,7,5 returns 2 (aleatory between 1 and 2).
10,4,4,4 returns 3 (aleatory between 2,3,4).
Thanks.

Yes, thank you.
Do you have formula that only tell me if there's more than 1 with the same min value? return true when need to use random, false when there's only 1 position with the min value.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Hi

If you prefer non-array, this one is compatible with older versions of excel:

=LARGE(INDEX((C4:F4=MIN(C4:F4))*{1,2,3,4},),RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTIF(C4:F4,MIN(C4:F4))))

Upvote 0
Yes, thank you.
Do you have formula that only tell me if there's more than 1 with the same min value? return true when need to use random, false when there's only 1 position with the min value.
I'm not certain what you are asking. What would be the expected results for the sample data in post #8 and why?

Upvote 0
Peter: the T2 formula in post # 8 did not work as expected, always returning 1. Pgc01 non-array formula always returning 4, I may be having a problem in translation of the formulas to pt-br version of excel (,;{} ...).

Upvote 0
I'll quit for now with these non-array formulas as I can't find where's the problem. Will use the pgc01 array formula that works ok (post #5).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm glad it helped.

I'll quit for now with these non-array formulas as I can't find where's the problem.

IMO in would be worth spending some time making them work. It will help you in the future when you have other solutions to translate.

Upvote 0
Thanks Peter, Pgv01 and all.
After I racked my brains trying to find the problem in the translation , someone told me that just go to immediate window (CTRL+G in VBA editor) and enter this command:

Code:
activecell.formula="[COLOR=#333333]=LARGE(INDEX((C4:F4=MIN(C4:F4))*{1,2,3,4},),RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTIF(C4:F4,MIN(C4:F4))))"[/COLOR]

and I got the formula in pt-br easily.

Code:
=MAIOR(ÍNDICE((C4:F4=MÍNIMO(C4:F4))*{1\2\3\4};);ALEATÓRIOENTRE(1;CONT.SE(C4:F4;MÍNIMO(C4:F4))))

The problem was that the translation of {1,2,3,4} is {1\2\3\4} and that's absolutely very difficult to imagine, why \ ? not just ; or , ....

All solutions worked as expected.

Thanks all
This topic is concluded.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
... just go to immediate window (CTRL+G in VBA editor) and enter this command:

Code:
activecell.formula="[COLOR=#333333]=LARGE(INDEX((C4:F4=MIN(C4:F4))*{1,2,3,4},),RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTIF(C4:F4,MIN(C4:F4))))"[/COLOR]

and I got the formula in pt-br easily.
That is a good trick to remember.
BTW, does pt-br mean Brazilian Portuguese?

The problem was that the translation of {1,2,3,4} is {1\2\3\4} and that's absolutely very difficult to imagine, why \ ? not just ; or , ....
I agree and I'm glad you tracked it down as I would never have come up with that.
Pleased you got it all sorted now. :)

Upvote 0
Yes, Brazilian Portuguese.
I suppose that this usefull translation method should works for any language.
Thanks

Upvote 0
Just one last question. Are there any advantages beyond the simplicity in using non-array formulas? As performance, smaller file size, etc.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back