return row number of the top 3 largest values ???

savagek

Hello,

I am trying to return the row number of the top 3 largest numbers in a column. I am using the formulas =LARGE(J1:J12,1) , =LARGE(J1:J12,2) & =LARGE(J1:J12,3) and this works fine, but I need to return the row number of the value found. For instance, if the largest value is located in J7, I need to return 7 (the row #).

Please let me know if this is possible and thanks for your time,

Rob

Kris,

I now get 0, 2, 2 as my answers. It seems I am getting different answers than you are. I do not understand this ??? Is there something I am doing wrong? I hit F9 to calculate the formula and I also did the Ctrl/Shift/Enter thing too!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Have a look..
Book1
GHIJK
11&23&4LabelsTop 3Labels
Sheet1

In J2 and copied down,

=LARGE($G$2:$G$13,ROWS($A$2:$A2))

In K2 and copied down,

=SMALL(IF($G$2:$G$13=J2,ROW($G$2:$G$13)),COUNTIF($J$2:J2,J2))

Confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

HTH

Upvote 0
Kris,

I got it to work as if I enter the formula and hit F9 it will calculate once, but it will not calculate again if the 3 largest change. In other words, if I change any of the input numbers on the sheet, everything will change accordingly except the row numbers.

Maybe calculating a column that has the same numbers as the row numbers would be better?????

I really appreciate your help on this as I know it is getting very involved!

Upvote 0
=SMALL(IF($G$2:$G$13=J2,ROW($G$2:$G$13)),COUNTIF($J$2:J2,J2))

The above formula is an array formula. It needs to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER. In other words, after the formula is typed/entered, instead of confirming with just ENTER, press the CONTROL and SHIFT keys down, then while both these keys are pressed down, press the ENTER key. Excel will automatically place braces around the formula indicating that the formula has been entered correctly.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Kris and Domenic,

I looked up the array formula under help as I did not fully understand the Ctrl/Shift/Enter thing and I was entering the formula wrong. The formula now works fine. It was exactly how you guys stated I was just doing it wrong.

So thankyou so very much for all your help as I much appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Once you've entered and confirmed the formula with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, the formula can be dragged/copied down the column like any other formula.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back