Return specific text based on day of week found in another cell

tlg

I am building a spreadsheet where I require a specific line of text which differs based on the day of the week which is shown in text in a cell at the top of the page.

The day and date in C1 is copied from the date which is input into A1 on the first sheet only, so on the Sheet2 it will use =SUM(Sheet1!A1)

exceltest.png

So, if the day in C1 is a "Monday", I would like the text in B4 to show "Ensure all passes are validated"

The text in B4 will then change based on the day which is in C1 as follows:

"Monday" - "Ensure all passes are validated"
"Tuesday" - "Check gate 3C"
"Wednesday" - "Clear contents of all boxes"
"Thursday" - "Check door 9"
"Friday" - "Conduct vehicle checks"

I have tried a few options but can't get the correct outcome, not sure if it is due to the date being fed from another sheet?

I would really appreciate any help, I hope my explanation of what I am trying to achieve is clear.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Book4
ABCDEF
1Friday, April 28, 2023
4Conduct vehicle checks
REPORT_APR
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B4B4=CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(C1,2),"Ensure all passes are validated","Check gate 3C","Clear contents of all boxes","Check door 9","Conduct vehicle checks")

Reactions: tlg
Upvote 1
Solution
Brilliant, that works perfectly, thank you for your help!

If I had a task that only happened once a month, for example on the first Monday of the month only, could this be added or am I making this too complicated?

Upvote 0
Another question, if the outcome of B4 is blank (as in there is no task on a Saturday or Sunday for example), how can I remove the "Specific Day Action" text in A4 cell. I have tried to use conditional formatting to change the font colour to white if B4 is blank but this does not work, possibly because B4 contains a formula.

Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
Another question, if the outcome of B4 is blank (as in there is no task on a Saturday or Sunday for example), how can I remove the "Specific Day Action" text in A4 cell. I have tried to use conditional formatting to change the font colour to white if B4 is blank but this does not work, possibly because B4 contains a formula.

Thanks again for your help.
You are welcome. I've modified the formula and introduced conditional formatting below to address your additional requests. B4 will appear blank and the text in A4 will be "whited out" when dates in C1 are for weekend days. The conditional format is set to produce a white color for the font in A4.
Book4
ABCDEF
1Friday, April 28, 2023
4Specific Day ActionConduct vehicle checks
REPORT_APR
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B4B4=IFERROR(CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(C1,2),"Ensure all passes are validated","Check gate 3C","Clear contents of all boxes","Check door 9","Conduct vehicle checks"),"")
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
A4Expression=$B$4=""textNO

Upvote 0
You are welcome. I've modified the formula and introduced conditional formatting below to address your additional requests. B4 will appear blank and the text in A4 will be "whited out" when dates in C1 are for weekend days. The conditional format is set to produce a white color for the font in A4.
Book4
ABCDEF
1Friday, April 28, 2023
4Specific Day ActionConduct vehicle checks
REPORT_APR
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B4B4=IFERROR(CHOOSE(WEEKDAY(C1,2),"Ensure all passes are validated","Check gate 3C","Clear contents of all boxes","Check door 9","Conduct vehicle checks"),"")

Excellent, works perfect, thanks again.

Is there a way of adding a separate box for a task to be displayed once a month? I have a task that only needs to be done on the first Monday of the month.

Upvote 0
Excellent, works perfect, thanks again.

Is there a way of adding a separate box for a task to be displayed once a month? I have a task that only needs to be done on the first Monday of the month.
You are welcome.
Not sure what you mean by "separate box"? How about putting the Monthly task message in another cell like B3 as below that only appears on the first Monday of the month?
Book4
ABCDEF
1Monday, April 3, 2023
3Monthly Task Monthly Task Message
4Specific Day ActionEnsure all passes are validated
REPORT_APR
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B3B3=IF(AND(WEEKDAY(C1,2)=1,DAY(C1)<=7),"Monthly Task Message","")

Upvote 0
You are welcome.
Not sure what you mean by "separate box"? How about putting the Monthly task message in another cell like B3 as below that only appears on the first Monday of the month?
Book4
ABCDEF
1Monday, April 3, 2023
3Monthly Task Monthly Task Message
4Specific Day ActionEnsure all passes are validated
REPORT_APR
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B3B3=IF(AND(WEEKDAY(C1,2)=1,DAY(C1)<=7),"Monthly Task Message","")

Thanks, it works perfectly, I have tried to change the formula to get the same result for the second Monday of the month but can't seem to get the right result.

Is there any chance you can explain what I need to change to give me the second Monday of the month please?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thanks, it works perfectly, I have tried to change the formula to get the same result for the second Monday of the month but can't seem to get the right result.

Is there any chance you can explain what I need to change to give me the second Monday of the month please?

Thanks again.
Here's the change to go in cell B3 in the example of post #7:
Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(WEEKDAY(C1,2)=1,DAY(C1)>7,DAY(C1)<= 14),"Monthly Task Message","")

Upvote 0
Here's the change to go in cell B3 in the example of post #7:
Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(WEEKDAY(C1,2)=1,DAY(C1)>7,DAY(C1)<= 14),"Monthly Task Message","")
Excellent, thank you so much for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sktz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back