Round function

robfl22

Board Regular
Hi guys, hope you can help me. I have a series of numbers where I am rounding that number by the nearest 9. The round function works nicely however when I add these numbers up, it does not equal the total I am seeking. Here are the numbers:
24.13408 Round Number 27
108.6034 Round Number 108
144.8045 Round Number 144
30.1676 Round Number 27
156.8715 Round Number 153
156.8715 Round Number 153
120.6704 Round Number 117
12.06704 Round Number 9

Now when I add the round numbers, it totals 1062. I need to this add up to 1080. The difference is 18 so I essentially have 2 9s to be distributed so that it equals 1080. Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance!

The difference is that the funny money is from customers credit cards and is taxed. In other words, it would not be fair to give all the funny money to one individual all the time. What happens when an employee receives funny money is that they have to redeem that funny money for real cash at another department and they are taxed on those redemptions. That is why I have to distribute those bills as evenly as possible so one person is not getting a heavier tax burden.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Hi Rob

Apparently your business is not located in the States. Where did you come up with the definition of "Funny Money" vs "Real Money"?

Upvote 0
I live in the US. I manage a gentlemens club. The funny money comes from those guests who wish to pay for dances or champagne rooms with their credit cards. For example, they could tell a staff member, here is my credit card and ID, please go get me for example 500 dollars in funny money. Then that guest uses that funny money technically as real cash. Then the dancers who receive the funny money can tip out staff with it. That is why we end up with funny money in our tip pool. If the guest gets 500 in funny money, he receives 50 10 dollar bills that look like monopoly money. Each one of those 10 dollar bills is worth 9 dollars in actual cash.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back to my suggestion: Have the club keep the funny money, and distribute $9 real money for each.

Which seems reasonable; the funny money is the club's invention. Let them sort it out.

Upvote 0
Hi Rob

Sorry, but your inference here is that "Real Money" is not taxed...as it is.
The difference is that the funny money is from customers credit cards and is taxed.

You apparently report the "Funny Money" on the Employee's W-2 because, as you say, it's taxed.

Do you report the "Real Money" on the Employee's W-2...as it's also taxed?

Upvote 0
Actual cash received as tips by employees is to be declared on the POS System at the time of their clockout. However, it is up to each individual to declare their own cash tips. The funny money is AUTOMATICALLY TAXED when it is redeemed by the employee.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joan12

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back