Run-time error 1004 : Unable to get Vlookup property of the WorksheetFunction class

manthony

Hi,
I am getting a Run-time error 1004 : Unable to get Vlookup property of the WorksheetFunction class.

I am trying to use a vlookup to find an employee’s name from their employee number and put that into a welcome statement message box.

The “Me.txtUser.Value “ in code below is where the error occurs. If I hard code an employee number, the code works fine.

The “Me.txtUser.Value” is coming from the employee number entered into a userform when the workbook is opened.

Faulty Code:
MyVal = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Me.txtUser.Value, Sheet2.Range("V8:W1000"), 2, False)

Also on a side note, Dim for MyVal is set to:
Dim MyVal As String

and

Me.txtUser.Value variable is equal to user.
user = Me.txtUser.Value

Thank you in advance for your help.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
I can't test this but try

Code:
=VLOOKUP( & Me.txtUser.Value & ,Sheet2!V8:W1000, 2, FALSE)

Upvote 0
Also try...
and check to see that TU actually holds the txtbox value
Code:
TU = Me.txtuser.Value
myval = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(" & TU & ", Sheet2! & Range("V8:W1000"), 2, False)

Upvote 0
Also try...
and check to see that TU actually holds the txtbox value
Code:
TU = Me.txtuser.Value
myval = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(" & TU & ", Sheet2! & Range("V8:W1000"), 2, False)

Hi Michael,

Thank you so much for the help. It put me on the right track. I had Me.txtuser.Value= user, so I used that instead of TU and tinkered with the code a bit more to get it to work.

My final code was "MyVal = Application.VLookup(Val(user), Sheet2.Range("V8:W1000"), 2, False)"

Now my issue is if someone entered an invalid employee number I get a Run-time error 13: Type Mismatch on the same line. I do not know if you have a good error handling tip so that if the vlookup returns an invalid result it can popup a new message box saying "invalid employee number"

Thanks again for all your help, I greatly appreciate it.

Upvote 0
Not sure about this, but can you put
MyVal = application.worksheetfunction.iferror(#what you have#,#value to return on error#)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomvula

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back