Run Update query immediately after record is created from form

Solola

Board Regular
I have a data-entry form (frmTDMEntry) into which the user enters about 15 fields of data into the table t_tdm. When the user tabs to the next blank, new record, I want Access to run an update query on the t_tdm.

Based on the fields that were entered in record #1, I have an update query (q_SIP_fields_update) that will update 11 additional fields for that record on t_tdm. I want this query to trigger automatically when a new record is created, so that the first record is updated. (I need this to happen, b/c my table has validation that requires that one of these 11 fields be unique. If it's not updated before a new record is created, the new record errors out - b/c both record #1 and record #2 have blanks in that field, and they're not unique).

I tried this code on the form's oncurrent method, but I get an run-time 3078 error when I first open my form - "Microsoft cannot find the input table or query." Also, I'm not sure how to prevent this query from running when I FIRST open the form for entering the first new record - I want it to update the first record only if I'm trying to then enter a second new record:

Private Sub Form_Current()
If Me.NewRecord Then
DoCmd.SetWarnings False
CurrentDb.Execute q_SIP_fields_update
DoCmd.SetWarnings True
End If
End Sub

I guess really, what I'd like it to do is trigger this update query immediately after the first record is saved to the table, regardless of whether or not I also enter a 2nd new record. But how do I do that? The data-entry person may be entering only 1 record, or 10 records at a time and will want to tab from one record to the next new one...

Please help?

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
You might be able to use enough duct tape and glue to make it happen.

IMHO, you have a bigger issue in that you need to do this at all. Sounds like a design issue. that should be addresses not patch with a lot of VBA code which will make the system very prone to "breaking".

Upvote 0
IMHO, you have a bigger issue in that you need to do this at all. Sounds like a design issue. that should be addresses not patch with a lot of VBA code which will make the system very prone to "breaking".

I guess I'm not sure what you're asking - if you want to know why I'm doing capturing some data and udpating the record with other data, it's b/c I have to record point-in-time detail of dynamic data living in other tables. Also, I have to record new data that is not captured anywhere in any other table.

If your suggestion that I fix my design issue still stands after my explanation above, what do you suggest? I've been struggling with this, so I'm open to suggestions! Thanks!

Upvote 0
I only read your first explanation quickly, but it seems you either want the triggered updates to occur before a new record is entered, or after a new record is entered.

You could use the FORM Before Update Event or FORM After Update Event in either case.

I suppose one concern would be if you run the before update event code and then the update fails - it seems to me the after update event is better for that reason. Not sure what you mean by "when a new record is created." That sounds to me like "just after a new record is created". But if the new record requires this information when it is created, then it might mean "just before a new record is created".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheLastLinuxUser

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back