Running into "multi-cell array formulas are not allowed in tables" error - what now?

keelaboosa

I'm trying to build the MASK column such that a 1 is displayed for the first distinct COMPOUND that has VOL * FLOW > 0, but I can't get it to work in the table using SUM(IF(FREQUENCY constructs; I get a "multi-cell array formulas are not allowed in tables" error.

What other options would I have to build this? I'd like to keep it a formula-based solution rather than VBA so people can follow the logic. I keep the VBA locked and hidden.

A
B
C
D
COMPOUND
VOLUME
FLOW
MASK

2​

A​

40​

1​

1​

3​

B​

0​

1​

0​

4​

C​

0​

1​

0​

5​

D​

0​

1​

0​

6​

E​

0​

1​

0​

7​

F​

0​

1​

0​

8​

A​

135​

1​

0​

9​

B​

135​

1​

1​

10​

C​

135​

1​

1​

11​

D​

135​

1​

1​

12​

E​

135​

1​

1​

13​

G​

135​

0​

0​

14​

A​

100​

1​

0​

15​

H​

100​

1​

1​

16​

D​

100​

1​

0​

17​

E​

100​

1​

0​

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
I am curious what formula you're trying to use?

But another option perhaps:

{=--IFERROR(MATCH(Table1[@COMPOUND],IF(Table1[VOLUME]*Table1[FLOW],Table1[COMPOUND],""),)=ROW(Table1[@COMPOUND])-ROW(Table1[[#Headers],[COMPOUND]]),0)} array-entered

Upvote 0
I wasn't able to get your formula to work, but I'm also worried that it won't take it because tables won't accept a multi-cell array formula.

Any other ideas?

Upvote 0
Why do you need a multi-cell array formula, rather than separate array formulas in each row?

Upvote 0
I thought you had to highlight the range of cells you want to enter the array formula in before you hit CSE. CSE-ing an array formula into a cell then filling down doesn't give the same results.

Upvote 0
Hard to comment when you haven't said what your formula is.

Upvote 0
The formula I'm using is

{=IF(FREQUENCY(MATCH(IF(Table1[VOLUME]*Table1[FLOW],Table1[COMPOUND],""),Table1[COMPOUND],0),ROW(Table1[COMPOUND])-ROW(Table1[@COMPOUND])+1),1,0)}

This tanks when VOLUME * FLOW = 0, but I'll tackle that once I figure out how to get this array formula in the table.

Upvote 0
Assuming your table is in A:D starting in row 1:

=IF([@FLOW]*[@MASK],IF(COUNTIFS(A$1:A2,[@COMPOUND],B$1:B2,"<>0",C$1:C2,"<>0")=1,1,0),0)

entered normally.

Upvote 0
Excellent!

Now, to make it easier to write the formula into the cells via VBA I would like to replace the cell references A$1:A2, B$1:B2, C$1:C2 with a static formula that evaluates to the reference. Is there a way to use OFFSET and ROW to do this?

Upvote 0
I've answered my own question - you can replace the relative and absolute cell references with offset and row. Replaced range references are shown in bold font.

=IF([@FLOW]*[@VOLUME],IF(COUNTIFS(OFFSET(Table1[[#Headers],[COMPOUND]],SUM(ROW([@COMPOUND])-ROW(Table1[[#Headers],[COMPOUND]])),0,-SUM(ROW([@COMPOUND])-ROW(Table1[[#Headers],[COMPOUND]]))),[@COMPOUND],OFFSET(Table1[[#Headers],[VOLUME]],SUM(ROW([@VOLUME])-ROW(Table1[[#Headers],[VOLUME]])),0,-SUM(ROW([@VOLUME])-ROW(Table1[[#Headers],[VOLUME]]))),"<>0",OFFSET(Table1[[#Headers],[FLOW]],SUM(ROW([@FLOW])-ROW(Table1[[#Headers],[FLOW]])),0,-SUM(ROW([@FLOW])-ROW(Table1[[#Headers],[FLOW]]))),"<>0")=1,1,0),0)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xpat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back