Running Totals in Pivot Table

alexjmeyer

Hi!

I have a set of data that gives a date/time, item and sale qty (a small sample below). I'm trying to use a pivot table / chart that is grouped by day and hour along with a running total to see the cumulative total of sales by item over time. In this particular case the data spans three days. Currently the running total is resetting at each date transition but for this use I want to be able to see the running total continue across the date transitions. Any help?

Date / TimeItemSale Qty
1/1/2015 4:33AM12
1/1/2015 1:33AM13
1/1/2015 2:33AM14
1/2/2015 5:10AM11
1/2/2015 7:10AM15
1/2/2015 6:10PM17
1/3/2015 2:15PM11
1/3/2015 3:15PM14
1/3/2015 9:15PM13

<colgroup><col><col span="2"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

If any one has interest here is the solution I ended up figuring out- (Assume Date/Time is in column A)

I used the formulas =TEXT(A2,"HH") and =Text(A2,"DD") to place the value of the hour (in 24hr military time) and date into separate columns

To create an identifiable single reference to the date and hour combination I used the below formula (Assume Hour and Date are in Columns I and J respectively)-
=Text(J2,"00")&Text(I2,"00") This returns a 4 digit string combining the date and hour (i.e. 2600= 11/26 @ 12:00AM)

I then made this date/hour reference the columns in the pivot, with item as the row header and order qty as the value. With this set up the running total based on the date/hour reference worked as intended.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malcolmlyle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back