Sad News - Just_Jon

When I very first came to this board, I was a wet behind the ears newbie asking naive inexperienced questions. And I always got answers. From a lot of people, because that's the kind of board this is, but often from Jon. And he always answered them kindly, never making fun of what I didn't know, just teaching me what was important.
Because of Jon and people like him, I have now become fairly handy with Excel myself, and my career has benefited from it. I didn't know Jon personally or the struggles he faced, I just knew him as someone who was very expert at what he chose to master, and was willing to to help other people master it too.
Jon stood head and shoulders above a crowd of experts, something made evident by being made a MrExcel MVP, and I always thought highly of skills and courtesy.
It saddens me that the community has lost this great contributor, but it also inspires me to know that even with everything he faced, he not only fought back to succeed, but that he succeeded more than others who had less working against them.
I hope that if I am ever faced with such hardship that I will also rise above it. And I am encouraged to know that it can be done, because Jon proved that it can.
To Rick and Jon's family, thank you letting us know in the middle of this trying time when you have so many concerns. Your loss is great, but Jon will be remembered, and remembered well, by many.

My Sincere Condolences,
Aaron Bush

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
My condolences to you and your family for your loss...

In addition to offering my condolences, I'd like to share one of many things I remember about Jon and why he was such a great community member, here.

Jon, in addition to being very talented, was a great student. I don't know if Jon ever used the IRR calculation, but I got rambling about it, one day, in a private setting.

In turn, Jon PM'd me to respond to this, as my rambling was very similar:

http://www.mrexcel.com/for<WBR></WBR>um/showthread.php?t=117597

You can see my initial response:

"Funny, I was just mentioning that I had done something similar a while back..."

It wasn't funny, it was that Jon was curious, wanted to help and had read through my balderdash. I distinctly remember being taken off-guard by him recalling my ramblings, and I would have never seen that post.

One of many great interactions with Jon.

Last edited:
FYI - Jon's brother Rick PM'd me with his address. If anyone would like to send a card to the family, PM me and I'll give it to you.

I know I've been away from the board for a while now, but man, I'm really sorry to hear he's gone. I always enjoyed his posts and corresponding with him. My condolences to your family and Jon's many many friends.

This is very sad news indeed. Jon will be missed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back