Search A Spreadsheet For A string Value and clear contents in the 3 cells above it

israpound

Any help would be appreciated on this as I am not an Excel\VBA programmer. I use SPSS daily at work which frequently results in generating excel SS's.
I have a large table with cell counts of less than 5 and SPSS allows one to generate an excel table with the following text if the cell count is below five "<5".
All I need to do is find each cell containing <5 and simply clear the contents of the 3 cells above it and leave the "<5" string in place.

For what its worth (trying not to be too lazy)I managed to figure out the code to insert a blank line after "Totals" in the table but this issue with "<5"
is too perplexing:confused:. Any help would really be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Any help would be appreciated on this as I am not an Excel\VBA programmer. I use SPSS daily at work which frequently results in generating excel SS's.
I have a large table with cell counts of less than 5 and SPSS allows one to generate an excel table with the following text if the cell count is below five "<5".
All I need to do is find each cell containing <5 and simply clear the contents of the 3 cells above it and leave the "<5" string in place.

For what its worth (trying not to be too lazy)I managed to figure out the code to insert a blank line after "Totals" in the table but this issue with "<5"
is too perplexing:confused:. Any help would really be appreciated.
Hi israpound, welcome to the boards.

Assuming that we are talking about column A (if not just update each instance of the "A" reference in my code), I think this should do the trick:

Rich (BB code):
Sub ClearSpecificCells()
Dim Cell As Range, cRange As Range
    LastRow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
        Set cRange = Range("A1:A" & LastRow)
            For Each Cell In cRange
                If Cell.Value = "<5" Then
                    Cell.Offset(-3, 0).ClearContents
                End If
            Next Cell
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for your response....I need to consider the whole SS so I am guessing adjust the range, for example as such Range("A1:Z100"...

Thanks Again

Upvote 0
Thank you for your response....I need to consider the whole SS so I am guessing adjust the range, for example as such Range("A1:Z100"...

Thanks Again
Referencing each cell of the sheet may take a little longer to process, but you could change it as follows to only check the cells which have actually been used:

Code:
Sub ClearSpecificCells()
Dim Cell As Range
            For Each Cell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange
                If Cell.Value = "<5" Then
                    Cell.Offset(-3, 0).ClearContents
                End If
            Next Cell
End Sub

Upvote 0

This is a sample bmp of the SS. I didn't get an error message using the code, however it did not clear the cells. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
The picture did not show up. Anyhow, thanks. If you can still assist that would be great. I think I need to be clearer about the structure of the SS. I have a SS ranged as A1:X286 and just imagine a column, with "<5" in cell C5 and C1 is blank, C2 has 75.0, C3 may be blank and C4 has 25.0 in it. This condition can be anywhere in the range. So I am looking for code to find "<5" and clear the 4 cells above. Any help will be really appreciated. Thanks...

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can't get either utility to work, likely because I am using "Excel 2013". I do know that the cells containing "<5" are formatted as "General".

Upvote 0
I can't get either utility to work, likely because I am using "Excel 2013". I do know that the cells containing "<5" are formatted as "General".
Pick a cell containing "<5" let's say A1 for example. In any empty cell enter: =LEN(A1)

using the correct cell address of course. What does that formula return?

Upvote 0
As long as there are no other cells containing the two characters "<5" except the ones you are interested in, then give this macro a try (it will straighten out any cells with extraneous, invisible characters in it)...
Code:
Sub ClearAboveCellsWithLessThanFive()
  Dim Cell As Range, CellsToClearCount As Long
  CellsToClearCount = 4
  Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  With ActiveSheet.UsedRange
    .Replace "*<5*", "#N/A", xlWhole
    For Each Cell In .SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlErrors)
      Cell.Offset(-CellsToClearCount).Resize(CellsToClearCount).ClearContents
      Cell.Value = "<5"
    Next
  End With
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nattarinee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back